Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Missed a Buck last night >

Missed a Buck last night

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Missed a Buck last night

Old 09-05-2008, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default Missed a Buck last night

Well the Arizona archery deer season started last week and last night I finally found some decent bucks. Unfortunately when I got within Mule deer range I choked and shot just under the buck I was pursuing. I was able to range him at 60yards and must of held a little low. I found the arrow with nothing but a few pieces of hair on it but NO blood. Oh well at least it was a first attempt for this year at a decent buck, which in my area that I was hunting are few and far between.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Missed a Buck last night

Perhaps you might want to choose a target a bit closer than 60yrds for your next attempt?
Old 09-05-2008, 10:58 AM

That does bite. But there'll be a bigger one next time
Old 09-05-2008, 11:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Id never attmept a shot at 60 yards.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

You have to understand that them boys from out west have to shoot that far. I have a buddy I shoot with here that grew up hunting AZ, he holds a better group at 70 yards than he does at 20 yards. I would not take a 60 yard shot either, but for them boys out west, a 60 yard shot is like our 35 or 40 yard shot.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:27 PM

ORIGINAL: kickin_buck
You have to understand that them boys from out west have to shoot that far. I have a buddy I shoot with here that grew up hunting AZ, he holds a better group at 70 yards than he does at 20 yards. I would not take a 60 yard shot either, but for them boys out west, a 60 yard shot is like our 35 or 40 yard shot.
I had the same problem (good groups far), and through the advice of someone on here, I am now balanced. The cause of my good groups far and short groups just ok was that I was concentrating much better on the long shots. I was looking at the short yardage and relaxing because the shot was "easy".

Sorry for being off-topic.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kickin_buck

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

My brother lives in New Mexico and his 2nd Elk he shot was 68 yards...and like you said anything closer than 35, he sucks.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Watched a show last night where a guy arrowed a mule deer buck from 71yds. SMOKED him.

Just because "I" wouldn't do it......I won't fault those who can. I can't hit the shots Tiger hits, either.....nor would I attempt them.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

There will be another! Nothing wrong with that shot, you guys out west gotta sometimes. I wouldnt hesitate on another 60 yarder if i were you!
Old 09-05-2008, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah those guys have no choice but to make shots that far off, out in the open like they are and few trees. The owner of a local archery shop here in Auburn hunts out west a lot, he has an antelope on the wall that he shot in the front of the neck facing towards him at 80 yards. I'd have to use my "yonder" pin for that one! Less than 40 for me, preferably less than 30!

Quick Reply: Missed a Buck last night

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.