Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 To pee or not to pee? That is the question. >

To pee or not to pee? That is the question.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

To pee or not to pee? That is the question.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: To pee or not to pee? That is the question.

ORIGINAL: ducsauce

ORIGINAL: robbcayman

I don't see why guys take so many measures to be scent free and then pee right under their stand.[&:]

I take a pee canteen!!!
Because it doesn't matter.[&:]I pee from my stand multiple times in one sitting and have never seen any ill effects come from it. Also, I have killed several deer from said stands after doing my business.
Just because you have killed a deer from your stand after you peed doesn't mean that it works everytime. Maybe the deer had the wind behind him etc..

IMHO, I'm betting that deer can possibly distinguish between human pee. My reasoning is that they smell coon pee, deer pee etc.. and if humans are consuming different thingsour pee is likely to smell differently. I'm basing this all on a hunch.

Heck, if you guys really believe this then why take any scent precautions at all? I mean, just pee under you stand and it will mask your scent. I'm not willing to risk a trophy deer on someone's hunch though. However, by not peeing under my stand I don't take a risk at all. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

When I spent a summer with the Blackfeet Indians, one of the older folks told me that the indian hunters used to slather themselves in their own piss to use it as a cover scent to get close to the game without spooking.I was skeptical at first, so I did some research, which revealed thathuman urine smells just like any other animal urine, just without the pheromone complexes, so it jives, scientifically.

Ever since I learned that, I've been dousing my hat with fresh pee before every hunt, and dabbing a healthy shot of it under each armpit and on my face. My logs show a 32% increase in my deer sightings ever since I started doing that. I'd highly recommend it.
Call me when you want to go snipe hunting.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:40 AM
Fork Horn

I remember reading somewhere a study wildlife biologists did on scrape activity and they tried different types of deer urine, human urine and new car scent and that there wasn't much of a different reaction to any of the above. Maybe someone knows of and can post?

From what I've read, do I think they'll notice it, yes, definitiely. Do I think it will scare them or drive them out, no, not at all. I say let it fly from your treestand.

However, if you don't want to leave any scent and are truly concerned about minimal impact in terms of making the deer feel nothing is different, use the bottle. What I've found is effective is to get those small bisquick pancake mix shakers witih the wide mouth. They are nice because they have a handle on them. Make yourself some pancakes and then rinse out the bottles, bringing one along on the hunt and discarding when you get back home.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: ducsauce

I don't see why guys take so many measures to be scent free and then pee right under their stand.[&:]

I take a pee canteen!!!
Because it doesn't matter.[&:]I pee from my stand multiple times in one sitting and have never seen any ill effects come from it. Also, I have killed several deer from said stands after doing my business.
Just because you have killed a deer from your stand after you peed doesn't mean that it works everytime. Maybe the deer had the wind behind him etc..

IMHO, I'm betting that deer can possibly distinguish between human pee. My reasoning is that they smell coon pee, deer pee etc.. and if humans are consuming different thingsour pee is likely to smell differently. I'm basing this all on a hunch.

Heck, if you guys really believe this then why take any scent precautions at all? I mean, just pee under you stand and it will mask your scent. I'm not willing to risk a trophy deer on someone's hunch though. However, by not peeing under my stand I don't take a risk at all. Just my 2 cents.
The smell of a persons urine doesn't bother deer.

Heck...When asked about it...Mike Waddell admitted (on a archerytalk chat) that he pee's off his stand all the time and has never seen it bother deer. He has been around his share of MATURE deer.

I used to pee in a bottle for many years but I don't anymore.

I know people that have pissed in scapes and bucks came by that same day and worked em over.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Typical Buck

Unless you have once been a deer you never are really going to know for sure. Even you guy's who say that you have seen deer come up to where you urinated and take a sniff can't say that it's ok. What about those mature bucks that you never saw stop in there tracks and pull a u-turn because they caught a whiff of your pee? I figure why risk putting your scent out there when it's so easy to just pack in a piss bottle.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's my take on the subject. Human sweat is completely different smell from human urine. The chemical compunds of urine in most mammals is the same. I believe that there is only a fractionally small difference in the makeup of urine between humans and deer. Deer, IMO and what I have read and what has been studied, is that deer cannot smell the difference, the main reason they smell it is because of such a small difference in the chemical makeup, they are trying to figure out what made the urine and whether it was a male or female. I feel it does baffle them a little and makes them quite curious and astounds them, but I wouldn't say they come running in from miles away but also think that it in no ways deters them. The scent you give out from sweat and body odor is a whole different story. The chemical makeup of human odor is very different from deer and they can tell the difference with that immediately. I believe if you "Let it fly" out in the woods, as long as you are not rubbing your hands on a tree when you pee you should be fine. When we contaminate our clothes and such, its with human scent or extremely foreign scents. Deer know this scent because they associate it with us, they see us and have smelled us at the same time. Very rarely doesa deer see me while I'm peeing to associate the smell to humans, besides, with the chemical makeup it will be hard for them already to tell.

This is my opinion, Im not trying to tell anybody what to do, this is just the reasoning I have about not worrying about peeing in the woods. The only problem I have with peeing in a stand is the noise the pee makes when it hits the ground.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:39 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: dstubb

Unless you have once been a deer you never are really going to know for sure. Even you guy's who say that you have seen deer come up to where you urinated and take a sniff can't say that it's ok. What about those mature bucks that you never saw stop in there tracks and pull a u-turn because they caught a whiff of your pee? I figure why risk putting your scent out there when it's so easy to just pack in a piss bottle.
Ifa deer is down wind of me I will be in trouble whether I pissed on the ground or not... but due toother odors like sweat...not pee odor.

I have seen and killed mature deer around my tree that I pissed next too...and many other hunters have as well.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:40 AM

I wonder if I bottle my piss, will any of you buy it?
Old 09-05-2008, 10:54 AM
Typical Buck

I just don't understand why it's so difficult to piss in a bottle from your stand. It makes far less noise than you pee stream hitting dry leaves on the ground. Why risk it?
Old 09-05-2008, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cooter144

ORIGINAL: dstubb

Ifa deer is down wind of me I will be in trouble whether I pissed on the ground or not... but due toother odors like sweat...not pee odor.

If you leave it on the ground it will stay for some time. However, if you bottle it the smell may only be in the air for a few seconds.Do what you feel comfortable doing, but I'll keep peeing in my bottle.

I may even pass it off to a buddy as lemonade.

Quick Reply: To pee or not to pee? That is the question.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.