Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 New to Bow Hunting >

New to Bow Hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New to Bow Hunting

Old 09-04-2008, 06:19 PM

Default New to Bow Hunting

Hey everyone. This will be my first year bow hunting. I have a question. IM shootg a Bear bow. Im not sure which model. It has a 60# and27" draw. Im shooting Beman ICS Hunter arrows with 100 grain broadheads. What would be my distance limit on my shots? Also can you experienced hunters give me pointers on hunting with a bow?
Old 09-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New to Bow Hunting

Hey bud, when it comes to distance limits a lot of that is going to be confidence. Right out of the gate you're not going to be wanting to attempt any 40 or 50 yards shots. The first year I bow hunted I limited myself to 20 yards shots simply because I felt it would be immoral to attempt a shot longer than that. For you, it may be 20, 30 or 40 yards but a limit is always good to have when you're just getting started.As far as having a distance limit when it comes to your kinetic energy, you'll have to get some advice from some of the other guys here. My advice to you would be just to shoot and shoot as much as you possibly can to get as comfortable with your bow as possible all the while perfecting your form so that you do the same thing every single time you release an arrow. Another word of advice for a first year bow hunter, try hunting on the ground the first year so you have less height compensation to worry about when it comes to hunting out of a tree stand. Good luck and happy hunting
Old 09-04-2008, 06:29 PM

Right now im shooting 50 yards and keeping all the arrows in a 5" circle with most in a 4" circle. I dont hunt from a stand much anyways. I like being on the ground and being able to sneak around into a good position. Its not my first year shooting a bow. Ive been shooting them for years. Ive just always gun hunted and this year i have a broken thumb and cant take the recoil of any guns so im going to try archery.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:29 PM

The only thing that should really limit your distance with that bow (assuming it's a newer model Bear) is your own comfort level. If you don't feel comfortable with your groups past 25 yds, keep all of your shots 20 yds or closer. Or when in doubt about a shot, don't take it.

edit: Wahoo covered it very nicely.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:30 PM

It is a newer model. I jsut got this one a few weeks ago. I also have a Hoyt that has a cracked limb. Im waiting for that to get fixed to trade it in on a Mathews DXT.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Retaks

It is a newer model. I jsut got this one a few weeks ago. I also have a Hoyt that has a cracked limb. Im waiting for that to get fixed to trade it in on a Mathews DXT.
Then again, the only thing that should limit your distance is your own confidence/abilities.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Austin/WI

ORIGINAL: Retaks

Then again, the only thing that should limit your distance is your own confidence/abilities.
Ok thanks. I just wasnt sure since im new to actually hunting with a bow.