Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

checking stands

Old 09-04-2008, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default checking stands

I have this stand that has been up for quite some time now. (perhaps 3-4 years). The past few years one of my dad's friends would check it, but I never had a chance to go with him.
I was wondering when you check your stand what do you look for?

Loose bolts? Loose straps? What?
Old 09-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: checking stands

I wouldn't use it if it was there that long. You got your monies worth out of it. It served it's purpose, get a new one. Besides the stand getting old, the tree is growing and exerting pressure that can't be checked. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:33 PM

i agree 3 years is way to long. (chain-on or rathet?) i heard a tree can grow up to 1 inch in a couple of months. that will stretch out your ratchet straps. i loosen then tighten mine up every 3 months. but i only have 4 lock-ons so it's easy. anyway, be careful!!!!!!!!
Old 09-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it is a ratchet strap I would change the straps. I change all my straps every 2 years.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:09 PM

Use a ladder or steps to remove the stand and check it out on the ground. Don't take a chance.......
Old 09-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im not worrying about falling out of the tree while checking it, I am wanting to know how to check it. My stand is located on an old tree that is about 2-3 feet wide. There is a split in the tree and I step in that split before getting to my stand. I stand there for putting the stand up and stuff.

what do I look at ON the stand.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check all your pivot points, your wires holding your platform and your straps. Last year (I take mine down every year) I couldn't get my ratchet undone without prying it. My strap was definately stretched. Had to get a new strap. If something doesn't look right change it. Sounds like they could have been exposed to a lot of weather and tree gowth.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Time is one thing you look for (like others have said). Best to take it down and rebuild it. Short of that look for seams coming undone, worn/loose bolts, what your grabing hold of to pull yourself up and things you can't see (the reason it needs to come down). Another biggy is what your using to get up there, it should be replaced too. I've heard of the tree spike rusting out, but I've never seen one with more than surface rust.

If you think the metal on the stand is still good add some more straps, Put as many more on as you care too, there cheap enough.