Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Smoking and Bowhunting >

Smoking and Bowhunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Smoking and Bowhunting

Old 09-04-2008, 09:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Smoking and Bowhunting

Weakness?? WOW.. To each his own. When a person knows something is harmful and is basically killing them but they continue to do it, that is called an addiction. As far as hunting, if that is what a person enjoys in the woods then so be it. Maybe that person does not need to shoot a "big" deer each year to make himself feel good. There sure are alot of guys here in WI that hunt mostly for the comradery. Too many people seem hung up on how "big" a deer they kill versus the whole experience of hunting.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:01 PM

The whole experience of archery hunting is next to none, but the hope, planning and scouting, anticipation for a chance at a "Big Buck" is what gets me up at 4 AM almost every day 6 weeks in a row. I don't think it would be the same hoping for a average buck. I do a lot to make an effort to be scent free and I don't believe smoking would increase my changes.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

i dont smoke and glad of it. in my line of work i see so many people who cant breathe after they walk down the hall, let alone climb a tree stand. maybe if i make it to 80 i can still climb a tree
Old 09-05-2008, 06:14 AM

I also quit smoking to try and make me a better hunter.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Matt Miller.....kudos, buddy. Kudos to all of you guys who've kicked this.

I grew up raising tobacco.....and I still dip whenI feel the urge (dipping, now). Don't do it at home. Don't when I hunt (I'm guessing ROb never even knew I used smokeless tobacco). It doesn't have a hold on me like I know it does, others.

To answer the thread question....I'd pose one of my own.

If you smoke on stand......why would you practice ANY form of scent control? It would seem a futile measure, to me.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:00 AM
Typical Buck

Big Congrats to you Matt!

I don't know what it is like to smoke or quit, but my wife hasn't smoked in 6 months now. So I know what it is like to be on the receiving end on it

Thank God that part is over!
Old 09-05-2008, 07:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

To answer the thread question....I'd pose one of my own.

If you smoke on stand......why would you practice ANY form of scent control? It would seem a futile measure, to me.
That is absolutely true ..... unless you think that somehow smoke attracts deer [X(]..... I used to smoke ... and I killed plenty of deer because I played the wind ... now that I have quit, I have deer come from all around me .... it DOES make a difference IMO
Old 09-05-2008, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't smoke. Both grandparents on my mothers side smoked like chimneys. They both died the same year, when I was 7. I remember visiting my grandfather after he had a stroke, he wasn't the same person. He then died shortly thereafter because he wasn't physically strong enough due to all the years of smoking. My grandmother, she also had a stroke. Then she came and lived with us in southern California, where she proceeded to waste away and die in our home. I found her dead when I was 7. That left a lasting impression on me about the devastating destructive power of smoking. That being said, probably like a bozo, I will chew some tobacco every now and then when I feel like the urge.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

When I lived with the Blackfeet Indians, their hunters commonly smoked Catawba Fruits while hunting. They believed that the Catawba smoke covered their human scent, and actually attracted wild game.

The Catawba tree is found all over the U.S., and is sometimes called a "Cigar Tree" or a "Toby Tree." Simply dry out the fruits and smoke them while hunting. They are great to smoke, and offer a better taste and aroma than even the finest cuban cigars. Try it. You'll be glad you did!

Old 09-05-2008, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

This guy refers to his cigarettes as his "Indian Deer Smoke Sticks." He smokes while on stand and drops his butts at the base of his tree. He says he has had does come up and chew on the butts.

The buck in the picture was taken off of public land in OH. He kills bucks of this caliber quite a bit.

Quick Reply: Smoking and Bowhunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.