Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Smoking and Bowhunting >

Smoking and Bowhunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Smoking and Bowhunting

Old 09-04-2008, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Smoking and Bowhunting

Last year was my first year that I didn't smoke on stand. Saw a ton more deer. It was tough, don't get me wrong. I quit on May 6th this year. Surprisingly it hasn't been that bad. I smoked for 10 plus years. I wasn't worried about my health. The main reason I quit was because it was a major PITA. I now know what it feels like to wake up healthly and not have to worry about if I will smoke in the stand or not. Smokers, I can't tell ya to quit. You will get it in your own time. I will say that if you are a smoker, don't do it in the woods and you will see more deer period.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

Don't get me wrong, I wish I didn't smoke and don't condone it at all. It's a terrible habit that's very hard to break I've been on and off the habit many times and still trying to quit.

Rob is right many people die before their time because of smoking.

I only answered the question as asked, I do smoke on stand and have see deer.

I didn't say it didn't scare off deer, It may or may not. That I don't know for sure.

Ismoke a fewon my all day sits on stand, I don't smoke if it's a morning or afternoon hunt of 3 or 4 hours. I can go that long.

I've also had many deer under me including 130 to 150 class bucks andsmaller along with thedoes and fawns. But who knows what could have been ? I may have scared off the world record ?God only knows !

Old 09-04-2008, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't smoke at all, but most of the time I chew in the stand, and spit right on the ground. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'veseen deer walk right in and lick a spit pile and carry on with their business without spooking. If I don't see any deer on a given day, it's not because I'm spittin on the ground, it's because it was a bad time of day, bad location, or bad day to hunt all together. I have friends that have always smoked in the stand and have killed deer while doing it.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont smoke at all, which means i dont have to worry about deer smelling it and me getting cancer.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

This upcoming bow season will mark 3 years since I have smoked a cigarette. Previous to quitting, I smoked daily for about 10 years, with a good 7-8 years being a pack a day + smoker.

That last day of Septemberin 05', I decided to buy a box of patches the day previous to the bow season opener in PA to help me not smoke on stand. I didn't plan to quit smoking, but promised myself not to smoke on stand. I had 3 days off from work combined with a weekend, which meant no smoking for5 days.

At the end of 3 days, I had already been through the worst of it, and the patches were the same amount of $$$ as smokes, so I decided to stick with it. To this day I haven't touched them since. I still have days in a bar (only in PA since NY doesn't allow smoking indoors in any public place) when I smell one after a beer or 10 and want one badly, but still haven't caved in to actually have one. I did however have a few cigars when on the beach in Punta Cana, DR a few years ago.........I couldn't resist. [8D]

I wish you the best. To this day it's one of the accomplishments I'm most proud of. There are few things in life more addicting or harder to kick. It's worth it though, and I'm glad I'm smoke free.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:17 PM

ORIGINAL: SouthernStrut56

I don't smoke at all, but most of the time I chew in the stand, and spit right on the ground. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'veseen deer walk right in and lick a spit
ive seen the same thing!! i recamend mint or apple flavored chew. Works for me!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-04-2008, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I actually don't even think about it while in the stand. I always have them with me just in case I need that victory smoke, but I'm too busy watching, listening and trying to figure out life to think about a smoke.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:13 PM

I have seen people sitting in woods around my house that have told me that they haven't seen a deer in a few weeks. As i'm standing there looking at the guy in his stand, he takes out a cigarett and lights one up. I just looked at him and said "yeah good luck with that."
Old 09-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't smoke, however my step father does, he has always been really adament about hunting the wind and when asked about smoking he always says, "just move my ciggerate to the left side and draw. He has two monsters to date, and shootsa 120+ every year. so smoking not for me, but doesnt stop my step dad from being succesful.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:45 PM

Just think about it breath smoke into ones lungs....Got to be great for you. No odor is the best for hunting big bucks......

Quick Reply: Smoking and Bowhunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.