Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Poison Ivy!

Old 09-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Poison Ivy!

I'm so lucky that I'm not allergic to any of that stuff. I have some poison ivy vines around here that reach up 70 feet or more and are around 7" in diameter at the base.

If there's just no other suitable tree in the areaand you absolutelyHAVEto cut them, spend a few bucks andfind an inexpensive, disposable HAZMAT suit (one of the disposable white ones - the oil wont penetrate that), a pair of rubber kitchen gloves and some rubber boots. If you're cutting big vines, use a hand saw; not a chainsaw. (My son learned a hard lesson that way)[:@].

Spraying them with poison will kill the plant, but it'll take forever for the vines to totally dry, and you can still get poison ivy when you start cutting the vines - the sap will kick your butt just as bad if not worse than the leaves.

Oh, by the way.... One other thing I learned about this stuff: If you ever burn poison ivy vines, make sure no-one breathes the smoke. This almost killed my mother-in-law when she was younger. (Hmmmm. No, think happy thoughts.)
Breathing the smoke can and will give you poison ivy in your lungs.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Fork Horn

Cover up....cut the crap down (machette, saw, whatever).....get home quick.
Clothes off in the garage and straight into the washing machine....You....straight into the shower and wash throughly.
It takes a while for the oil to get through to you, and if you wash it off quickly enough....no problem.
I get poison oak and ivy pretty easily. I also stomp through poison ivy every time I go hunt.
Cover up...cut it down...clean up quickly.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:54 PM

Kid:

I don't get poison Ivy or oak, but I use the same removal process as you on my tree stand trees and on trees on my property. Cut the vine and they die. I pull them off righ away if I need the tree for a stand location. However after they dry they are easy to remove.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

find another tree, people who are highly allergic to ivy and oak can get it from the wood that they grew on. i have seen it happen