Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 For all you baiters..... >

For all you baiters.....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

For all you baiters.....

Old 09-05-2008, 08:07 AM

Default RE: For all you baiters.....

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I read an interesting article in 'NC Sportsman' magazinea week or so ago. The author is a local Gander Mtn. archery dept. manager and an accomplished bowhunter.

Here's his take on baiting....

1. he only baits an area a few days before he plans to hunt it. His contention is that the bucks will find the bait before the does will. He puts a trail cam on the area when he spreads his bait....and years of experience have shown this to be true.

2. He only baits 15-20#'s at a time. This creates competition.

3. When he begins to get too many does on the trail cam.....he switches spots. he says the does will run the bucks out of the area....once they find it and begin frequenting the site. When they show up.....he moves.

His success is hard to argue against. Though I don't bait....I find his methods intriguing.....and thought some of you baiters might think so, too.

What are your opinions of his methods/approaches to baiting?
Few thoughts...yes the guy is a proven deer hunter, but there are so many factors that play into this..How can he prove that all of his statements are true...How does he know for sure that the does run off the bucks? wouldn't it be opposite during the rut? I feed year around. I have cams out all year..I do see more bucks during the rut, but I also see bucks with does all year long...I think he has good ideas if..1. limited number of baiters in the area,2. large areas that only he hunts. 3. food sources in the areaare well known...To give an idea, opening day last year. I saw 9 different bucks in bow range and 25-30 does in range. If what he is saying is true, why didn't the does run the bucks off and why did I have a steady stream of deer all day long and even after dark. I had to run doe's off to get out of my stand...just some thoughts
Old 09-05-2008, 08:12 AM
Dominant Buck

How does he know for sure that the does run off the bucks?
I think this is pretty well proven in whitetail circles.....bait or no bait. Competition for food will see this occur. Does put up with bucks for a very short period of time each year.

Sound to me like you have a pretty healthy buck:doe ratio. You have to remember where the author is hunting. Each year....we kill more bucks in our state than does.....even with unlimited (virtually) doe tags available to our hunters.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good thread, interesting as well.

One thing however, I'll say I'm not surprised by the article. I don't know it all but I've seen does run bucks off fields as well.

Particularly dominant does.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:27 AM

How does he know for sure that the does run off the bucks?
I think this is pretty well proven in whitetail circles.....bait or no bait. Competition for food will see this occur. Does put up with bucks for a very short period of time each year.

Sound to me like you have a pretty healthy buck:doe ratio. You have to remember where the author is hunting. Each year....we kill more bucks in our state than does.....even with unlimited (virtually) doe tags available to our hunters.
I wish I could take more does, but it would be waste full..We had four in the freezer last year..we ate them all but I know there needs to be less does..I don't own the land or I would invite people on a 100% success doe hunt by 9:00am.the guy that owns it rarely hunts and doesn't care about doe numbers...doe tags in WV will run you $20 per tag. I would go broke fast. Nothing is really proven when it comes to a wild animal...that is a belief in certain hunting circles...The article gives his bais thoughts of his hunting experience..it may be difficult to get his results repeatable all over the country..just think if you did the same things you might come up with better or worse results...
Old 09-05-2008, 08:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Conceded that different tactics work in different areas.

Note, though, that the article was published in 'NC Sportsman Magazine'.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Good thread, interesting as well.

One thing however, I'll say I'm not surprised by the article. I don't know it all but I've seen does run bucks off fields as well.

Particularly dominant does.
Im kinda thinking the same way Rob, Im certainly no expert, but Ive seen Does get after bucks when it comes to feeding, like you said especially with older Does.I do have pictures I'll post later when I get home of Does posturing up and you can actually see in the consecutive pictures, bucks turning and leaving the bait pile with a big ol Doe in their face all flexed up like Germs old avatar, an amazing similarity lol.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: rimjob_rob

He sounds like a master....baiter.
HA!
Old 09-05-2008, 08:43 AM

Conceded that different tactics work in different areas.

Note, though, that the article was published in 'NC Sportsman Magazine'.
But you did address the link to those who bait..I found it interesting and informative...I was in no way saying that your wrong....just giving some added thoughts concerning it. I have seen does run off bucks, but I have also seen bucks run off does...I wonder if the lenght/ duration of the time spent feeding matters..for example someone who has put feed out for many years in the same spot over and over...would it be any different, compared to his example of baiting and then moving...GMMAT you should do a research article......
Old 09-05-2008, 08:49 AM
Dominant Buck

If I baited I would!

What his article would tell me.....if I were baiting at one particuar site for an extended period of time.....is it would be "likely" that bucks would not come in WITH does to this site.....if they come into it, at all.

Again....we have to think about other food sources available. If they're readily avaialable elsewhere.....I can see this being true. Also note that the author said he only did this during the early season. At that time, here....we have abundant 'other" food sources available to deer. The "free meal" is only (according to what I read into the article) attractive if it's a spot they can go to without competition. When the competition arrives.......the bucks move on. Too many other sources they don't have to fight for....but might have to work for, more.