Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.


Old 09-03-2008, 10:39 PM
Typical Buck
Thread Starter
englum_06's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: East Central Illinois
Posts: 660

For you that have hunted in Indiana, I live in IL (Im 20) and my mom lives in IN. Her and my step-dad just bought some ground.

What all do I have to do to be able to hunt in Indiana?

I talked to a lady at the DNR but she didn't seem like she was very confident in what she was telling me. Lots of "Um, I think", "I guess so", "You might have to..."

She told me that she THOUGHT all I have to do is buy an over-the-counter Non-Resident permit and then I was good to go. She also told me that if it was considered agricultural or "farmland", then all I need is written permission from the landowner (My mom and stepdad). I asked my stepdad tonight, and he said it has been zoned as Agricultural on the taxes.

Any help would be great!
englum_06 is offline  
Old 09-04-2008, 01:25 AM
Fork Horn
bowdaddy1964's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Very S. Indiana
Posts: 155

For you I'll be 150.00 for non res. deer tag/lisc. if you were under 18 it would have been free. or if you are considered living with you mom you would'nt need a lic. just a piece of paper as a property owner tag. If you are listed as a res. of Il tax wise then you'll have to get a non-res. lic. For a quick guide to all states info I often use and hit theresources tab at the top to go to state DNR's and thereare links to all stateDNR's and
bowdaddy1964 is offline  
Old 09-04-2008, 05:01 AM
Dominant Buck
kevin1's Avatar
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ramsey , Indiana
Posts: 22,545

You'll find everything you need to know here:

I've gotten bad info from DNR office workers before, go by what the hunting and trapping guide in the link above says. Even though you're immediate family you aren't a resident living on the property, so a permission note is probably not enough.
kevin1 is offline  
Old 09-04-2008, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,445

What's been said is correct as far as I know. You'll needa non-res. license ($150), which will allow you to shoot one deer. You're posting in the bowhunting forum, so assuming you're talking about bowhunting, the license will allow you a buck or doe. Then you can buy a second archery license (also $150 I think, but you should verify that), and you can shoot a buck or doe, depending upon what you shot on your first license. You are only allowed one buck per hunter in Indiana. Then you can continue to buy bonus licenses which are for antlerless deer only. I believe these are cheaper, but you should verify.

If you want to hunt the firearms season, you can use either a bonus license (for antlerless only) or if you have not yet shot a buck, you can buy a firearms license, which is for bucks only.

Go to the Indiana DNR site, and download the hunting guide.

I buylicenses as I need them. No point in buying a firearms license if you shoot an archery buck.
UncleNorby is offline  
Related Topics
Thread Starter
Last Post
04-26-2009 06:15 PM
Black Powder
12-25-2008 09:10 AM
Charlie P
03-01-2008 09:53 AM
02-20-2007 05:51 AM
11-02-2005 08:21 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Quick Reply: INDIANA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.