Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rattlin' Antlers- Real or Imitation? >

Rattlin' Antlers- Real or Imitation?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rattlin' Antlers- Real or Imitation?

Old 09-03-2008, 07:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default Rattlin' Antlers- Real or Imitation?

What do you use real or fake?

I have always used the fake rattling bag because they were easy to carry etc. I just got bored and played around with both real and fake ones and different sizes of real ones to compare the sounds.

The fake one sound similiar but they dont sound real. Maybe from a way away the might sound the same to a deer but who knows. I think I am going to start carrying a real set in my pack to use instead.

rick

Old 09-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rattlin' Antlers- Real or Imitation?

Cant beat the real thing if youve got em IMO. Rattle bags are pretty good too if you dont want to carry around those big bulky antlers.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've always carried a rattle bag, until this year when i rounded up a good set of sheds for a real set.

I thought the rattle bags sounded "pretty good" until I heard Greg / MO about 100 yards away from me in his stand one night and he sounded like a kid beating the crap out of a Lego set.
It couldn't have sounded more fake or unrealistic to MY ears anyway.

Nothing but real antlers from here on out!
Old 09-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

I've always carried a rattle bag, until this year when i rounded up a good set of sheds for a real set.

I thought the rattle bags sounded "pretty good" until I heard Greg / MO about 100 yards away from me in his stand one night and he sounded like a kid beating the crap out of a Lego set.
It couldn't have sounded more fake or unrealistic to MY ears anyway.

Nothing but real antlers from here on out!
That is exactly why I was asking Matt! Thanks for the response! I think I am using sheds from here on out

rick

Old 09-03-2008, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good post. How about Primos brand synthetic Antlers? They seem to sound good to me, but I would like to get in the woods and have someone rattle them from 60-70 yards out to see how they sound when I am away from the source of the sound.
Anyone have any intuition on this product and its effectiveness/sound quality?
Old 09-03-2008, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

nothing can be better than the real think IMO
[align=left] [/align]
Old 09-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a pair of those fakes. IMO, what a waste of money. I tried them once and the sound is terrible. Sounds like, well, plastic.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:59 PM

I prefer real.

I posted this in a thread earlier today and thought I would repeat it here too.....

One mistake I thing guys make when rattling is not having other sounds go along with it. How often do bucks fight and not make any noise but their antlers hitting? Never. Break some branches, rake the tree you're in....something. I am contemplating a way to make more noise when rattling. Some way to make more noise on the ground.

Here's something that I will never forget. It had nothing to do with rattling, but it relates to it. One year up here, during the rut, 4 of us were walking about 2.5 miles from the quads to pack a deer out that one of our guys shot. We walked to a thick patch and make quite a bit of noise. When we go through the other side, this buck comes running around the corner and lays on the brakes at about 30 yards when he saw us. He wasn't a giant, about a 135" with a drop on his right beam. Why did he come running? He heard all the commotion and thought we were deer.

One more story quick to relate to this. My buddy Johnny was hunting up here last year. His dad took him to an area that we hadn't hunted for quite a few years. My brother had put a ladder stand up there 12 years ago and it hadn't been brushed since. He sat in the stand for about 5 minutes and decided there was no way for him to shoot, so he got down and started breaking brush to make a couple shooting lanes. After about 5-8 minutes of this he climbs back into the stand, thinking his hunt is messed up for at least a few hours. He hears something to his right and there's this buck standing there checking the scene out. This was a big mature buck with some trash on his rack. The buck stood there for about 5 minutes trying to figure out what was going on. Johnny couldn't get turned for a shot and the buck decided something wasn't right and left.

I guess I'm telling these stories to help people realize that it takes more than just banging some antlers together sometimes.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:15 PM
Fork Horn

you can never make a fake sound as good as the real deal in my opinion..
Old 09-04-2008, 04:41 AM
Typical Buck

i always make other noises when I am rattling. I do some grunts, hit the tree I am in a few times,etc.

rick

Quick Reply: Rattlin' Antlers- Real or Imitation?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.