HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Is this land huntable? Scouting help needed. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/261230-land-huntable-scouting-help-needed.html)

shrewbeer 09-03-2008 05:10 PM

Is this land huntable? Scouting help needed.

Went and scouted some property that has become available to me, and found tons of HUGE deer prints. Big river, medium stream, and not one bedding or major trail found. Tracks everywhere, especially in the tall grass fields, but each track trail was the first time the deer stepped there within the past few weeks. Definitely lots of deer, but I can't figure out where to park myself, unless its in the middle of the tall grass where the random, spread apart deer tracks seemed to be very fresh (I put a brown dot there).
should I even bother with this piece?

Ok. Here is the Legend;
Green- unhuntable trout hatchery property
Yellow- corn
Red dots- unhuntable, but apple trees
Blue- few day old single four-wheeler tracks, no other old or fresh tracks found
Purple- Horse, and human sign found

reckling42 09-03-2008 06:11 PM

RE: Is this land huntable? Scouting help needed.

I think its deffinitly huntable. I would place a stand in the woods south of the corn field, and west of the apple trees. Might be some trails to get to thier food sources there.

virginiashadow 09-03-2008 06:16 PM

I like the cover funnel on the western side of the "green off limits section". The funnel that looks to have a pond next to it.

I also like that small strip of cover between the cornfield in the south and the bordering field to its west.

shrewbeer 09-03-2008 06:40 PM

BTW, if I had a rifle in my hands, I would know exactly what to do here. As this is my first bowhunting season, getting within forty yards of a deer with a perfect shot has my brain tied up in knots[:@]

virginiashadow 09-03-2008 06:43 PM

"As this is my first bowhunting season, getting within forty yards of a deer with a perfect shot has my brain tied up in knots"

That is why I am telling you to hunt tighter cover and travel corridors. It will help get them in range.

shrewbeer 09-03-2008 06:55 PM

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

I like the cover funnel on the western side of the "green off limits section". The funnel that looks to have a pond next to it.

I also like that small strip of cover between the cornfield in the south and the bordering field to its west.
the strip of cover at the cornfield to the south seemed nice, but I neglected to mention that I found bones and LOTS of coyote tracks.

that funnel with the small pond does seem nice, and the pond is mostly bush and cattails. thats where I would be with a rifle, as I could look east, west, and south to different fields. The trees to choose from are the ugliest, bushiest, bastards of trees to but a stand in.

shrewbeer 09-03-2008 06:56 PM

ORIGINAL: reckling42

I think its deffinitly huntable. I would place a stand in the woods south of the corn field, and west of the apple trees. Might be some trails to get to thier food sources there.
as for putting a stand next to those apple trees south of the corn, the corn is extremely tall, and quite overgrown to a point where I would have to shoot the deer in the orchard (which I cant), or try a terrible shot through cornstalks.

bscofield 09-03-2008 08:09 PM

Well I went and looked up the property on google maps because youblanked out some important info ;)

after seeing the big picture, I like the funnel on the west side of the hatchery. Either that or the south side of the hatchery where that funnel is likely to meet up with other trails coming from that patch of woods to the south. But the larger patch of woods (the woods that run to the west of that strip mine or whatever it is) could funnel deer right through that area to the west of the hatchery, especially if they follow the river.

shrewbeer 09-03-2008 08:21 PM

here is the big picture