Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shoot 'em in the neck!?!?! >

Shoot 'em in the neck!?!?!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shoot 'em in the neck!?!?!

Old 09-04-2008, 10:32 AM

Default RE: Shoot 'em in the neck!?!?!

The deer often move they necks while standing and not moving their bodies making the lungs a much better choice. The heart lung area is a much bigger area then the vitals in the neck.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

A neck shotfrom close range witha gun can be a good shot. I shot a nice doe last year with a 54 cal muzzleloader from about 45 yds. The only hole to shoot through was at the neck. The deer dropped faster than the smoke could clear. I had no doubt when I squeezed it off.

Here's one that will draw some fire, I'm sure. A long time ago I shot a buck from about 15 yds. This deer came at my stand on a dead run and then just stopped and looked right up at me. Probably hit my scent. Anyway, when he looked up, the bead of the 54 cal's front sight was between his eyes. That deer went all of 24 inches, all in a downward direction.

Oh, and I guess I'll toss this one in. I was standing on the ground in some hemlocks during a pretty good rain. This deer got up on me, almost from behind. We saw each other at the same time and it whirled and ran. On the second jump my sights were lined up on the base of the tail. That one ran about 75 yds. I found the bullet in the brisket, and a hole through the heart.

All of my other gun kills (about 25 I'd guess) were pretty standard shoulder or lung shots depending on angles and other factors. Of those, quite a few were on the move, and a couple at a dead run. So, for me, a good shot is what I decide it is in a given situation. I know deer anatomy and I limit such shots to very close range.

Beginners should stick with heart/lung/shoulder shots. I do not advocate any of these shots with a bow.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JESUS loves archers

No there are no cougers in MN.
I beg to differ, I personally found a nice one in Downtown Minneapolis a few years ago on a trip for work. Cosmopolitans were the bait of choice for that one if I remember correctly!

This guy is going to have some sore nuts, Can you deliver a swift kick to the ass for me! If its going to hurt when he pees, might as well hurt him on the other side too!
Old 09-05-2008, 11:34 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: fastetti

I beg to differ, I personally found a nice one in Downtown Minneapolis a few years ago on a trip for work. Cosmopolitans were the bait of choice for that one if I remember correctly!

This guy is going to have some sore nuts, Can you deliver a swift kick to the ass for me! If its going to hurt when he pees, might as well hurt him on the other side too!
lol it was sarcasm bro,there are plenty of them,especially up north.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

The most appropriate smilie in the history of an HNI topic.

Well done.
So when will it be added to our smilie options

And I agree he should get a good kick in sack
Old 09-05-2008, 01:35 PM

ORIGINAL: KCMO Cityboy

This is what happens when you make foolish shots.
Sack kick for the owner of this arrow

That pic is FAKE.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: fastetti

lol it was sarcasm bro,there are plenty of them,especially up north.
Do the ones up north also go for the cosmopolitans?
Old 09-05-2008, 01:47 PM

Even though I wouldn't even THINK about it with a bow, a neck shot is a very viable shot with a rifle under the right circumstances. As long as you know deer anatomy and your rifles trajectory it is a DRT shot at shorter ranges.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:48 PM

How is neck shooting even debatable??? Kick him in the seeds. If you think of squeezing one off when the pin is on the neck you need a CT Scan and an MRI and your hunting license revoked forever.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:52 PM

Last year I shot my buck in the neck at 25 yards... WITH A .270. You're not an ethical hunter if you do it with a bow. I agree with Matt:

Anybody purposely aiming for the neck as their intendedtarget should be punched in the sack.......end of story.

Quick Reply: Shoot 'em in the neck!?!?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.