Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 MONSTERS INC. HAS A MONSTER DOWN (Story Added) >

MONSTERS INC. HAS A MONSTER DOWN (Story Added)

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

MONSTERS INC. HAS A MONSTER DOWN (Story Added)

Old 09-02-2008, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default MONSTERS INC. HAS A MONSTER DOWN (Story Added)

Well here it goes.

This years hunt for this year started back in June. Ever since I could start to distinguish which deer was going to be a bigger and better buck than the other. I really had my eye set on 3 deer. I posted pics of them a while back. It was a oversized forked horn, a very respectible 3x4, and as far as I could see....A decent 5x5 which would later turn into a monster and a buck that left me waking up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat thinking someone else shot him. So August rolls around and I can really distinguish what buck is going to be the one to go after. The 5x5 was defenitely the buck that had more bone but I had a history with the 3x4 and he was just as old of a deer. I decided that I would not shoot the oversized forked horn and I would try and get the big boy but if the 3x4 gave me a text book shot. I wouldnt be passing it up. I put 425 miles on the motorcylce travleing to and from my hunting area since early spring. The hot dreary summer days finally showed a sign of cooling off as it began to cloud over more often and precipitate every very little now and then. Very seldom but still, rain in August is rain in August and if it doesnt come with a lighting and thunder storm its all good. Mid August saw my huge arsenal of a whopping 3 stands up, I didnt even bother sitting in 2 of them becuase the one was just getting nailed with deer traffic. August 30- I had finally fell asleep when the alarm clock set to go off at 4:40 annoyingly beeped at me. Never before have I been in and out of a "Baking Soda" shower, into camo, on the bike, and on my way faster than that morning. By 5:15 I was in the stand and getting situated and a few short and dark minutes later I was ready to go. Arrow nocked and bow sitting on my lap. At first light I could see deer moving and a small 3x3 offered me TONS of shot oppurtunities but hey, "Go big or go Home", right? So Inevitably he got to walk. I waited for a miserable 7 hours in the biting cold (only because I was in no way dressed for the weather) and drizzling rain. I did not see a single one of the bucks that I would consider shooting that day. Not even a glimpse of em. August 31- To make a long story short, It was the same as the day mefore minus the rain and I was a lot better prepared for the cold. September 1- The 1st of september saw me out dark and early once again after a "Baking Soda" shower. The dark dissapted to let the sunlight move in. Once again, early deer movement and plenty of activity. At 7:45 I spotted the big buck, Boy did I start to shake after a look through the walmart quality binos (Which prompted the oredering of some Vortex DiamondBack binocs. Cant wait for em to show up!). The buck was coming down the trail I planned. I figured 35 yard shot and I knew it was. But my mistake was not compensating for the already downhill terrain. With heart going faster than Usain Bolt's legs I drew as he cleared a small cedar. Settled my 30 yard pin high and released. Despair immediately hit me along with the uncertainty of the shot. Immediately I sat down and prayed that I had not wounded the animal and that some good would come out of this. After climbing down the pine and a short search for the arrow told me that it was a clean miss. I was deeply discouraged after how hard I worked I Figured Id never get another shot. I took a long hike which ended in the finding of a spring and some grouse. Not too bad but I still felt like I had failed. The ride home was not a quick one, I wa pondering how I was going to let everyone know what had just happened. I walked in the door with my head hung low and answered the questions that came. I wasn't a happy camper. I posted what had happened on here and after a few words of encouragement. I switched broadheads out for field point and started practicing. Hard. I was phisically and mentally practicing and after a few hours. I was good to go. I had confidence and I had the drive to get back out there. September 2nd - Started with the now usual, "Baking Soda" bath hoping that my human scent would be somewhat eliminated. I got set up in the tree that I had moved the stand to in an attemp to fool the bucks eyes and nose from what he had figured out as of yesterday. I did not think that I would have much deer activity and to tell the truth it started up rather slow. A couple does were all I saw for quite a while. Foot steps and crunching leaves alert me and let me know that something is behind me. And there it is, the make of the noise. The oversized forked horn, being chased my the monster. I stood and to my surprise, here came ANOTHER deer. It was the 3x4 that had not been seen in 2 weeks. What a lucky day!! The 3x4 offered me a shot but after the miss yesterday I had to shoot the buck I missed. I wouldnt settle for anything less. Slowly the deer milled around while I said a few prayers asking God for the perfect shot and a arrow that Iasked him to guide. I was shaking beyond beleif but a few deep but silent breathes put my head on straight. I was ready to go. It was SHOWTIME. And here they came, 40 yards and closing now. The first buck was small and he hung up under me for the better of 3 minutes trying to detect what he smelled, but never once looking up. And behind him, for goodness sakes here comes the big guy, alert as can be but slowly and every half minute or so he moved a few feet. Finally he made his last move, his head went behind a tree and I silently drew thebroadhead tipped arrow, anchored and now the rest was upto him. Is he gonna move that last 2 feet? He did and I settled my pin. I did not need any reassurring to know that my arrow was placed deadly accurate and perfect by my stanards. I watched as the confused beast stumbled a mear 40 yards and did the famous hind end wobble. He was going down. I did a few fist pumps with only myself to see and then not forgetting my manners, I sat down and Thanked the Lord for lucky I truly was.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:20 PM

Default RE: MONSTERS INC. HAS A MONSTER DOWN!!!

congrats bro. i knew it would happen.

But teaser posts before pics are uploaded are looked down on these days.[8D]
Old 09-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sweet! Way to go BHB!

Man Law!! Come on!
Old 09-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

The pics are 30 % uploaded according to photobucket!
Old 09-02-2008, 01:23 PM

Congrats man!!! Can't wait to see the pics and read the story!
Old 09-02-2008, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Awesome!! Congrats! Looking forward to seeing the pics!
Old 09-02-2008, 01:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hurry up dude! Can't wait to see him!
Giant Nontypical

I know you're excited but that does not excuse the fact that you have broken a serious man-law! J/K

Congrats, I can't wait to see the pics and read the story.
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bullet Hole Bailey

The pics are 30 % uploaded according to photobucket!
I hope I am not the only one chanting "hurry, faster" [8D]
Old 09-02-2008, 01:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

(Whistling theme to Jeopardy)

Quick Reply: MONSTERS INC. HAS A MONSTER DOWN (Story Added)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.