Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 You have a deer at 15 yds..... >

You have a deer at 15 yds.....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

You have a deer at 15 yds.....

Old 09-02-2008, 09:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: You have a deer at 15 yds.....

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

For the sake of this exercise......we'll assume it's 2/3 way out.....or 30'.
If I have a bow sighted in for 20 yards top pin, the target is 15 yards. At 15 yds your POI will be a touch high depending upon speed of your arrow. 1" or so.(maybe more)

At 15 yards You can theoretically aim about 1" below your intended POI and if your pin is below the level of the limb you should A) miss the limb, and B) hit the target where you want.

If you aim at the limb thinking your gonna miss it chances are you're gonna hit it because 8-10 yards is generally the point where your arrow crosses the line of sight on it's way to it's highest point. In other words your bow is sighted in pretty close to that distance with your 20yd pin as well. aim AT it and chances are you are gonna hit it somewhere.
The brain doesn't remember such minute differences in POI from zero to 20 yards so it simply resorts to: put the pin on where you want to hit and shoot. Nevermind that the POI might be a touch higher than you wanted........it's a dead deer so you don't care or give it another thought.

That's all a little too much for the brain to calculate with an animal standing in front of you so what I would just do is crouch down slightly with my legs keepingthe rest of the aim on the same plane and simply shoot the deer.
It will be a cold day in hell before one little limb across a deer's vitals at 15 yards is gonna keep me from making the shot. LOL
Provided I can make a little manuever without getting detected.
I've already completely knelt down on the platform of my stand AND shooting off the right side to make a shot.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:49 AM
Dominant Buck

It goes back to a previosuly asked question.

If the angle is maintained.....and there is NO torque added to the string.....how can the arrow NOT go where the pin is if the sight pin housing and the peep are aligned?

It's a fair question.

That's all a little too much for the brain to calculate with an animal standing in front of you so what I would just do is crouch down slightly with my legs keepingthe rest of the aim on the same plane and simply shoot the deer.
It will be a cold day in hell before one little limb across a deer's vitals at 15 yards is gonna keep me from making the shot. LOL
Thanks, Matt

Old 09-02-2008, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Where's the rub if the archer squats 3" (from the knees)but maintains the same angle?
He'd miss in theory. If he dropped by squatting 3" he'd have to slightly raise the shot angle to keep the pin exactly where he wanted to hit. In real life that change happens automatically without concious thought.

I've squatted on occasion to make a shot on a deer.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:54 AM

If it's just a small limb and that's the only thing in the way then I would say that a deer, unspooked, at 15 yards is going to present another shot at a reasonable distance. So just wait a second or two. One step is all it should take to get a clear shot.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:54 AM
Dominant Buck

You're being a bit too technical....or I worded it a bit too loosely.

By "maintains the same angle"....I'm assuming the archer is maintaining the "proper" angle for the position he's in. He's simply made himself 3" shorter to avoid the impediment.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

I'd wait till a clear shot presented itself...
Old 09-02-2008, 10:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Aw and here I thought I was hitting the technicality.

So to answer the question...If one is coordinated enough to squat a few inches & maintain proper shooting form, I see no reason why they couldn't make the shot. More people would probably attempt it than can actually pullit off though.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Typical Buck

I would have cut all the limbs but if that was the scinario I would wait rather than take an awkward shot.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

A good man would draw his bow horizontally exactly over the deers back then take one short step forward off of your stand. A the precise time just before your feet strike the ground take the shot while your from is still perfect,assuming your not torquing anything your shot will be true.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd wait.

Quick Reply: You have a deer at 15 yds.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.