Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Lining up your shot >

Lining up your shot

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lining up your shot

Old 09-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Lining up your shot

While aiming, my tendency is to have to raise my sight to get on target. I always have to fight to keep it up.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: early in

Everyone starts by aimimg "generally" at their spot then adjust's accordingly, up or down. It has to be either way. You're never going to start your draw exactly on your spot and maintain that position until release. There must be some deviation. Usually up or down.
(Buzzer sound) EEERRT, wrong answer.

When I draw and come to anchor, my pin is usually on the target (somewhere) automatically. I simply adjust the pin to the spot be it up/down/left or right and start my float.

Rarely although it does happen that my pin is totally off the target but I don't think about it, I just move it to the target. I don't start up and go down, I don't start down and go up.....all that leads to target panic by trying to punch trigger as it passes the mark.

Where ever my pin ends up at full draw I simply move it to the mark and start my float and concentration.

Now that's shooting from level ground. Obviously when shooting from an elevated state I draw level and move down to the intended target/mark.

And when shooting in Harrisburg, the targets above the shooters, Draw level and move up to the target.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Generally I start high and come down to the target. I'm thinking of just shooting target specifically. A LOT of guys state they start on target before they draw and keep it there. There isn't a black and white right answer, but I know A LOT of pro's start high and come down.

Videos to come.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h245/cougars_2009/?action=view&current=Picture138-1.flv

http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...Picture139.flv
Old 09-01-2008, 09:17 PM

Rarely although it does happen that my pin is totally off the target but I don't think about it, I just move it to the target. I don't start up and go down, I don't start down and go up.....all that leads to target panic by trying to punch trigger as it passes the mark.
That's the very reason why I STILL have target panic......and a MONTH before season opener. I'm fighting this disease hard and I'm hoping I can get it worked out before October 4th.[&o] I've never felt the lack of confidence going into a season as I do now.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Try to put my pin on the target before I draw and keep it there.
???? How is this even possible? If this is possible I would love to hear how you pull this off without a machine.
I personally go up with the pin after draw.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

now that Rob answered, what i do will loose its "validity" as what i ACTUALLY do...

but ive always done how rob described....i think most of it came from "bending at the waist" and its easier to hit your anchors level (parallel to flat ground) and keep those anchors to shoot targets below and above you...just helps me remember the bend at the waist to keep anchors so thats how and why i started doing that....if im on level ground, my pin ends up on target when i hit my anchors..just fine tune from there....i dont THINK about getting on target...thats where my focus is and it just "happens"

im a self, and internet taught archer...not an expert by any means...

funny though, when im in a deer stand and drawing on a deer, i bend my waist to get on the deer and draw "on the deer" keep my form and anchor points...but draw straight back on the deer to minimize movement...i do the same when practicing from the stand as well...so thats the odd ball coming out in my shooting....

i can tell when im not on my anchor points though...i practice alot and i can just tell "it doesnt feel right" and i can tell when my level is level without looking 90% of the time...i check it everytime...but dont have to consciencly adjust the level to be level most of the time...just "feels" or looks off if im not level....
Old 09-02-2008, 12:57 AM

I just pull i dont really aim.. I get a gen proximity and adjust
Old 09-02-2008, 01:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I draw and find the target somewhere in my peep, then move to "my little spot" and as soon as I am there, I release.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:29 AM
Typical Buck

From a stand, I draw, anchor, bend at the waist and lower on the target, focus through sight on said target, center peep within sight, float yardage pin on targetbased on exit hole, andrelease. I never really focus on the pins. They just kind of float around in front of me, much like the centering of the peep in the sight. I really try to stay focused on the target. One of the reasons I only shoot out to 30 yards. Beyond that, I have a tendency to start "aiming" the pin, and lose focus on the target.

Quick Reply: Lining up your shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.