Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

TAKE A STAND!

Old 09-02-2008, 02:55 PM
Spike

Default RE: TAKE A STAND!

All of us have been in this situation. . . A 120" hanging around our stand, giving us a perfect broadside shot. It is hard to resist. I used to be like that as well, until I took a nice deer, and until I saw a 180" deer walking just out of bow range. Maybe if you get your "friend" on a big one, he will "mature". Nothing is worth losing a good friend over; even gettingyour name in the record books. . .
Old 09-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Kid
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Your land........your rules. Period.

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner!
Old 09-02-2008, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

There's two sides to this issue:
Is Steel putting his land management goals above his generosity towards his friend?
Is his friend being rude and disrespectful by not observing the restrictions?

I won't answer either question but let me put the scenario another way. Your buddy is over your house to watch the game. He asks if there's something to drink and you tell him; "Yeah get a (insert beverage) out of the fridge." But your friend goes into your kitchen and decides he'd rather have a $$$ bottle of wine you have been saving for an anniversary celebration. Do the arguements against Steel still work here? Should his friend have carte blanche to any beverage in the house?

Or you ask him to take his shoes off at the door so your new white carpet doesn't get dirty. Should he be able to tramp into your house with muddy boots because he's your friend and you wouldn't put the price of a new carpet ahead of his friendship?

Can be viewed both ways.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Spike

If he is your close friend and not your family members, tell him the other family members voted and asked he not come back since he could not follow their rules. If it would end the friendship the blame is on him for not following rules not to mention to have a friendship end over him not being able to followrules is sad.

How old is this fellow? I ask because you said you help him drag his deer out. Is it a necessity you help because of a disability or are you just being a bud? If he is able to do it himself maybe he would be better off finding his own place to hunt so he can shoot whatever he wants.

If you are trying to establish a certain quality of deer along with your neighbors than you have to have that certain type of hunter.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

The guys a prick, plain and simple. Its your land, you allowed him to hunt it with strick rules set fourth. He did not abide by them at all which means you have every right in the world to kick his ass out. If he was your friend, he wouldnt have went against your wishes in the first place. I wouldnt feel guilty, i would feel relieved that the little ones will get to become big ones someday.