Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

TAKE A STAND!

Old 09-01-2008, 07:00 AM

Default TAKE A STAND!

I just told an old friend I wouldn't be hunting with him anymore. Sick and tired of helping him drag small bucks off our properties. Asked 3 or 4 times to quit and he is just to trigger happy.He's mad but at least our little bucks will be safer and that is more important! Grow as a hunter or stay out of the woods! Right or wrong?
Old 09-01-2008, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: TAKE A STAND!

It's your land and your choice. Depending on your buck to doe ratio you may or may not have done the right thing. I have a friend who says if you ain't gonna hang it on your wall, don't shoot any bucks. Every year, him and his friends take 20 - 30 does off his property. He's had the land for a long time and last week he told me that almost every trailcam pic is a buck. I think during the rut, his land is going to be pretty much empty. Is that good game management?
Old 09-01-2008, 07:22 AM
Dominant Buck

1. HIS choice to shoot what he wants. None of your business.

2.YOUR choice to help him drag or not.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Is it your land? If not and he has the same access and rights you do why not be happy with what makes him happy? Whats more important a friendship or a big buck to pump your ego?
Old 09-01-2008, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know if it is right or wrong only you can answer that ?, But I know I have a friend that hasn't grown in the hunting world he is going to be hunting the same tree for 9 years in a row and it is only 50 yards off the road so he can't get lost. He usally only gets a doe or a small buck but last year he shot his biggest there a 7pt with a 17 inch spread and if he gets excited I get excited, I have been hunting with this friend for over 20 years now and Because I want to hunt different spots and states and hold out for bigger bucks than the average guy doesn't mean he has to and I love being with him so what makes him happy makes me happy and I will drag his deer out till i cant any more. It also makes a difference that he is only a weekend warrior because of his job and family situation so God bless close friends!! This friend has also taken my daughter hunting while I was off in other states pursuing big antlers and if I can trust him with my baby he has my most utmost trust many things define a friend not just what they shoot!!! Walt
Old 09-01-2008, 07:48 AM

This property produced #4 biggest in the state a few years back and cosistently shows good genetics. It is the only property we hunt that has cooperative neighbors that feel the same way I do. We all discussed the issue and agreed to follow the same plan. He hunted this property through me because it is my families land. We do not hate does and do our best to keep the ratio in good check. I just feel that if everyone else agrees on a plan and he is a guest then he should follow the plan. It wouldn't be so bad if he didn't just deliberately do what he was asked not to.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

GMMAT--it is not his choice. It is steels land. And as stikbow stated, sometimes it is not always about hunting, but is more importantly about a friend. That being said, if you feel strongly not to kill small bucks and your friend will not agree to follow the plan, then I guess you have to do what you have to do. How about have him sign a contract stating that " I will not kill a buck smaller than.........."

Old 09-01-2008, 08:42 AM

Soooo a FRIEND kills one or two small bucks off of the PROPERTIES ( plural ) per year, and you kick him to the curb??? I would hate to have to try to be your friend and have to live up to your standards..... " Grow as a hunter or get out of the woods " ..... man, thats harsh ..... Maybe accept your friends for who they are, be happy for them, and understand that one or two deer a year will not ruin your land.... But I guess thats not an issue anymore, since you made it clear to him what was more important.... and it wasn't His friendship.

Send him my way, he can kill what he wants and I'll slap him on the back, he haw with him, and not only help drag it out but help him clean it too.....

He lost nothing in losing you as a friend...... and thats sad.

MET

Old 09-01-2008, 08:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Would you really lose a friendship over the size of antlers?

Choice is yours but.

If he has agreed to it,then you have reason to be upset.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just told an old friend I wouldn't be hunting with him anymore. Sick and tired of helping him drag small bucks off our properties.
Sounds more like an acquaintance, rather than a friend.

Quick Reply: TAKE A STAND!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.