HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How long does a bow last.. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/260622-how-long-does-bow-last.html)

Chuck7 08-31-2008 09:33 AM

How long does a bow last..

i've noticed alot of you guys update bows frequently..or at least talk about updating ..Is there a reason for this..How many years should the average bow last..Mine is over 25 I'm sure..I took it to a bow shop to get a rest put on 2 years ago..I knew the owner would talk me into buying a new one so I had plenty of money on me..He has trpophies everywhere and tons of new bows..I ask him why he didn't try to sell me one..He said" Because there is nothing wrong with the bow you have,,it has all the power you need to drop a white tail." I was impressed with him and gained a love for the bow I have..It's an old Darton Trail Master...very acurate and I have it set about 60 pounds.
mine has a 100.00 site and the best rest I could find to keep the fletching clear ...

Here;s one off of ebay for 40.00:D

Bailsuk 08-31-2008 09:53 AM

RE: How long does a bow last..

With the credit crunch this year , i think you may see a drop in people buying new bows . I'dwas planning tobuya Diamond or Bear single cam bow , but it will have to wait this year .

Thats a cool lookin bow by the way , why replace if its in tip top form . Kudo's to the shop keeper , for not trying to sell to you .

JeramyK 08-31-2008 10:03 AM

The average bow should last a lifetime. Because that is how long they are warranted for. :) I have an old Fred Bear compound that's 22+ years old now and an old PSE compound that is about 16 years old. I wouldn't get rid of either one because they were the first 2 compounds that I ever owned. But I still buy a new bow or two every year. I just have that addiction. :D

thehairlessone! 08-31-2008 10:12 AM

pure addiction. An average bow should probly last 20 yrs. if taken care of but that isnt as much fun as getting a new one once in a while

rick

Chuck7 08-31-2008 10:22 AM

To be honest with ya..if I knew more about them I'd probably get a real good one..I'm not crazy about the drop away rest..I need to go back to the shop and have the man show me some options..I'd like a 31" draw..with a normal rest..{ The kind with the 2 fingers that the arrow lays on} and some decent let off.and one that stays pretty fast up to 30 yds..with little drop..

TexasBowHunter 08-31-2008 10:22 AM

Like said before, they will last as long as you want them to depending on how you care for them. I used to buy a new bow every year but I was getting them through a staff shooting program and was selling them the next year for more than I paid new. Since I have quit staff shooting I kept the same bows for 7 years(Darton's) and just upgraded at the end of last year. The only reason that I upgraded was b/c there is only one Darton dealer in Texas anymoreand it is 4 hours from my house. So, I bought new bows for this season, sothat I can get service if needed.

floridabucks 08-31-2008 10:26 AM

Chuck,
Just curious, but what shop are you talking about? I'd like to find one I'm comfortable with. I went to one in Brandon and wasn't real impressed with the guys there. The guy who worked on my bow acted like I was stupid just cause I was new to archery.

Chuck7 08-31-2008 10:47 AM

It was the one in Brandon..called the Arrowhead..

Here;s the deal..and I'm totally embarassed..Some guys I was shooting with could not figure why my arrows were dipping etc..

I drove down there...here was the conversation..

Owner..can I help you..

Me.yes sir..I think somethings wrong with my rest..I want the best rest you have in the shop..also..my string is twisted.. the tear drops are turned..

Owner.. you have a left handed rest on a righted bow..and the turned tear drops are normal..you don;'t need a string.{ ALTHOUGH ANOTHER SHOP SAID I DID[:@]} he gets his best rest..puts it on..without saying a word....He puts on a string loop and a peep sight..{ I never ask for one}still says nothing..He has me shoot at a target..BULL's EYE..

Me..what do I owe ya..

Owner..20.00

Me..why didn't you try selling me a better bow.

Owner..there's nothing wrong with your bow..it's all you need.

I was impressed.;)

Bailsuk 08-31-2008 11:03 AM

I used to use a NAP QUIKTUNE 1000 http://www.newarchery.com/#/productand i think they are great , very reliable rest . just not ideal for hunting ( but still usable ) , as your arrow can fall off the prongs .

Hick442 08-31-2008 11:07 AM

I have a Fred bear obsession 05 and i hope it lasts at least one more year, before i upgrade next year.