Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Good tip for skinning deer... >

Good tip for skinning deer...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Good tip for skinning deer...

Old 08-31-2008, 06:17 AM

Default Good tip for skinning deer...

Hopefully this helps you all.

Don't you hate getting all the excess hair off the carcass after you skin your deer? We have tried everything, and found that this makes it a snap:

Take a small propane torch, and wave it over the flesh. Now, you don't want to cook the meat, just pass it over the spots with hair stuck to them as if you were airbrushing something. The hair will burn off in an instant and save you 45 minutes of picking it off, running a knife edge across it, etc. We figured this out a couple years back and it works like a charm!
Old 08-31-2008, 06:20 AM
Spike

Default RE: Good tip for skinning deer...

Makes sense. Use that method in the.spring on birds, Toms.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

It wont harm the meat or any thing will it?

I really have never had a problem with hair not coming off. We just slit it at its back leg then to its back leg hip (or what ever you wanna call it). then we just pull it all the way down.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:30 AM

ORIGINAL: Pope94/IA

It wont harm the meat or any thing will it?

I really have never had a problem with hair not coming off. We just slit it at its back leg then to its back leg hip (or what ever you wanna call it). then we just pull it all the way down.
No sir, we have come to no harm from it, and have noticed no "off taste" of any sort.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

im with pope...if you pay attention not to cut hair and just cut hide, you wont have hair on your meat.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

The best way to keep hair off the skin is to do a good job seperating the hide from the skin. I used to use my knife but found that it often was so sharp it would cut the skin and the hair or the meat leaving small pieces stuck to the hide. Now I use an old Arrowhead I found in South Texas. It's more of a stone tool that dates back several thousand years. I have to hand it to the Indians, they knew what they were doing. The stone is sharp enough to seperate the skin formm the hide but not sharp enough to cut the skin or even the meat. When I remove a hide it is almost perfetly white whithout a single cut or piece of meat stuck to it.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

"if you pay attention not to cut hair and just hide, you won't have hair on your meat".....

Now that's funny........show me ONE PLACE besides nose and eyes on a deer that AREN'T covered in hair....??

Nice tip--- For those who know it's worth.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

i dont care how careful you are your still gonna get some hair on the meat.. about the only way i dont think you would get hair on the meat is maybe if you use the golf ball method.. the torch is a good method.. seen it done. works pretty good
Old 08-31-2008, 01:14 PM
Spike

Thanks good tip
Old 08-31-2008, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: pm69442

"if you pay attention not to cut hair and just hide, you won't have hair on your meat".....

Now that's funny........show me ONE PLACE besides nose and eyes on a deer that AREN'T covered in hair....??

Nice tip--- For those who know it's worth.
I believe he meant if you're carefuly not to cur through the backside of the hide through the hair, creating a hole. That tends to make it more messy and apt to getting hair all over it. You're always going to have a little hair here and there, but for the most part, if you're careful during the skinning process, a quick soak with the hose will clean everything nicely. I just use my knife to cut and trim down the rear legs and over the hind quarters. Then I hoist the deer upside down, grab the hide that's been seperated, and pull straight down. You should be able to get the hide down to the neck, where, unless you're caping the deer, you can finish the process off. This really works best if the animal is still retaining some of its body heat.

The torch idea sounds feasbile, though.

Quick Reply: Good tip for skinning deer...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.