Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First Bow

Old 08-30-2008, 08:42 AM

Default First Bow

I'm a 42 yr old who is looking to buy a new bow for deer hunting in the Midwest. I live close to both BassPro & Cabelas. I don't want to spend to much on a compound bow, but I don't want to sacrifice quality. I already own an old Parker bow that I plan to let my 15 yr old son use this season. It's set at approx. 55lbs. I'm very comfortable the draw on it, but could probably handle a little more.

I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to provide a little advice.

Thanks.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: First Bow

Hey man I'm a newb to bow hunting, but I've seen lots of people asking this ? The guys on here say if you can go to those shops or some where that sells bows and let you shoot them. Then you should shoot different types and see which ones you shoot best. Its all about how it feels to you and the way you shoot. Its different for everyone. Good luck on your search.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

At stores such as those you will probably want to look at the Diamond line heavily IMO....
Old 08-30-2008, 05:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you goto to Matthews website....you can look up a dealer locator near you, I may be wrong but I believe they only sell matthews at smaller specialty type bow shops, not the big box type of stores, and at least my shop, has very knowledgeable people there, it would at least be a place to begin and look. Learn alot of info, and at least take that info with you when you goto one of the big stores, if you decide to.

If you really think youll shoot often and practice, Id say go for a 70lb bow, but if 55 is good/comfy and you really dont plan to draw much more than 60lbs, ever, or once you get much over 60lbs....its uncomfy, stick to a 60lbs.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like Carpmaster said You will see allot of the Diamonds at Cabelas, They are good bows, I shoot the Diamond Marquis, And I love it.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:57 PM

look at he browning mirage.

trust me