Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 For those, that pass on bucks to let them grow... >

For those, that pass on bucks to let them grow...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

For those, that pass on bucks to let them grow...

Old 08-29-2008, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: For those, that pass on bucks to let them grow...

Ive been hunting for four years and have killed 4 does but Iveyet to bag a buck. I let a six pointer walk last year because I listened to what others told me I should do,and I regretted it. I am not a trophy hunter so I will not pass on a buck this year unless its a spike or forkhorn. Im 22 years old. I have the rest of my life to become a trophy hunter
Old 08-29-2008, 12:45 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-29-2008, 01:12 PM

There are a few that we have let go, that were never to be seen again. However, sound management will reward you in the majority of cases if you do it correctly. There is always a con to doing something, but worth it in the end.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

I have seen every buck that I passed last year- this year. As well as some new mature bucks that appear to have moved into the center ofour 1000acres. I guess because they see veeeeery little pressure, have crops, apples, grapes, sugar plumbs, acorns water and plenty of security cover .

Piggy, the nice 10pt that I have posted photos of, last year I passed him as a wide 8pt, in the middle of October. Now, he is becoming a brute.

Our land is not public and is bordered by one of North NJ's largest park systems, that is CLOSED to hunting. So, I think we see deer year after year because the area is extremely rural and the deer have our 1000acres, plus thousands of park acres to hide.
Come on DT, EVERY ONE of them??? Probably a bit of an exaggeration, but if you have 1,000 acres, you should have some pretty good ones especially if there is little outside pressure.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:12 PM

What I have learned in my 8 years of bowhunting is that if you shoot the first buck you see you will never see the big ones. On opening weekend last year I let a nice eight point go by that I saw the year before as a 6. I'm sure he's 3.5yrs. this year and I can't wait to get him on my camera or let the air out of him. I won't shoot any bucks that I cannot put on the wall, if I am looking for meat I will shoot a doe. I shot a doe and a 10pt. with the muzzleloader last year but hope to get a nice buck with the bow this year.