HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Ground Blind????? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/260190-ground-blind.html)

Deerhunter_515 08-28-2008 11:37 AM

Ground Blind?????

Is it easyer or harder to hunt from a ground blind compared to a treestand? my dad doesnt want to spend the money on a tree stand so were thinkin about getting a ground blind. Will the deer be more aware of us if we use a ground blind? do i have any chance of getting a deer with in 20 yards of myblind?? i need some help guys...

kevin1 08-28-2008 11:46 AM

RE: Ground Blind?????

Yes and no, you can get deer from ground blinds, but you're at greater risk of getting busted by being at eye level. You generally have to set out a pop-up type blind in advance to give the deer time to get used to seeing it, but this isn't always an option, especially when hunting public land. Try scouting the property you intend to hunt for natural features that are already there to shield you from the deer's eyes long enonugh to get your shot such as falen trees, rocky outcrops, etc. The deer are used to them being there, so will be less suspicious than they would be suddenly seeing a strange object appear out of nowhere. Most pop-ups don't lend themselves well to bows either.

minnesotadeer 08-28-2008 12:19 PM

Depending on how much you have to spend, you can get a nice matrix style hunting blind for $150-$200 with the right features, maybe cheaper with sales going on. I have several ground blinds but the one I like the most is my Ground Max Deluxe. I'm not sure another blind out there besides this one and Double Bull's models allow you to silently adjust the windows from the INSIDE, which you need while hunting from the ground. But I haven't shopped for them for a while so others may now.

Like Kevin1 said, I think the key would be to brush or blend it into the landscape well. Think like a deer and walk the trail pre-season to figure out spots where the deer won't notice the blind until he's just about in range without spooking or suprising him at the same time. Also, window openings are huge. All of the pictures in these hunting magazines show guys sitting inside with all of the windows open. There is no way you could do that and not get busted. It's like sitting in a screen house. Keep the minimum number of windows open or in the case of a DB, open as narrowly as possible.

wrightshot 08-28-2008 12:34 PM

I will be hunting from the ground this year on state land. I scouted this property 6 weeks ago and found a 12 foot deep X 10 foot wide ditch that the deer are using from the swamp to the upper grassy field. I decided to build a natural ground blind set back from the edge from fallen branches and such. I will be down wind and hidden until it is too late for them. I have hunted from a tree stand for the last few years but, with being stuck in the public land, I am afraid of theft. I had a stand stolen 2 years ago.

Just my .02.

Austin/WI 08-28-2008 12:42 PM

I hunt from the ground alot, during both bow and gun seasons, and have actually taken all but one of my deer from the ground. When I hunt from the ground I like to use as much natural cover as possible. Like Kevin said, fallen trees are great places to start. Try to create a little nest, pull in some limbs from the surrounding area and add enough to cover any movement that may be seen through the fallen tree. Also, create one entrance just big enough for you to get in quietly with all you gear and clear the ground inside the newly made blind of any twigs or sticks that may snap, crackle or pop while you're in there. Lastly, setup a chair or stool or bucket, whatever you'll plant your butt on while you're hunting and make sure that you can quietly draw, letdown and move side to side. If everything is good from inside the blind, it's just a matter of cutting a few shooting lanes where you expect the deer to pass through and practicing shooting from a seated position. All of this should be done as early in the summer as possible, ideally. But I've done this type of thing in the morning so I could hunt it in the afternoon with good success.

Another option is making your own blind. There are a lot of stores that sell camo fabric or burlap. If you can pick up a couple yards of this stuff, you can make yourself a decent little blind with minimal work. Depending on what you have laying around, I've found old aluminum arrows can be great stakes for a blind. If you don't have any that are decently long you can duct tape a couple together. Now, have your mother (or girlfriend or whoever) sew some sleeves into the fabric or burlap, you can slide the old arrows into the sleeves and presto - a highly portable blind that you can just stick into the ground. Place a little brush around and in front of the blind to break up the outline and you're ready to go.

bowtechlove 08-28-2008 12:59 PM

I believe its a yes and no.
hunting from a ground blind can be harder, because of eliments, winds, smells, sight...the list is long...
but if you do your homework and can setup good and quiet, then the hunt can be the most exciting one youve ever had...
the thrill of being ground level, eye to eye, its un-explainable
good luck.......