Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who uses decoys? >

Who uses decoys?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who uses decoys?

Old 08-28-2008, 08:23 AM

Default RE: Who uses decoys?

The only time I ever used a decoy it cost me a pope and I retired it that day. The 3 mature does he was trailing RIGHT to my stand immediately went on alert when they they spotted the decoy. They started acting squirrely and that big ole bruiser locked up and walked out of my life..
Old 08-28-2008, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Exactly GMMAT, would rather have had the does at least enter the field. This instance was late in the year, if used this year it will be early in the season.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I've used the Flambeau bedded decoy on a number of occassions with less than desirable results. Seems every deer that sees it immediately goes on alarm. This has been both bucks and does as it was set up as a buck or a doe.

I'm interested in this thread as well as I'm thinking about ordering that new BIG decoy from Cabelas or Gander. This one. I'm interested in any feedback on it. It's made by Flambeau.

This is a great decoy. Bought one and used it for the first time last year. I didn't have much luck with it, but did have some younger bucks come in to check it out. My dad used it a couple times last year with great sucess. He ended up taking his 07 10pt while using it. The buck came in all bristled up, ears layed back ready to kick it's ass. A 15yrd shot with a 100gr muzzy ended that!I'll definatley use it again this year.
Here's a pic.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:15 AM

I've used the Flambeau bedded decoy on a number of occassions with less than desirable results. Seems every deer that sees it immediately goes on alarm. This has been both bucks and does as it was set up as a buck or a doe.

I'm interested in this thread as well as I'm thinking about ordering that new BIG decoy from Cabelas or Gander. This one. I'm interested in any feedback on it. It's made by Flambeau.

Rob, I used this decoy 3 times last year in about a 15 acre field. I am not exaggerating, every single buck that could see that decoy came to it with ears laid back. I killed my late rut buck using it. I have used the carry-lite for years and had good luck with it but this decoy really worked well for me. It is a little pricey but for me it wasabsolutely worth it!
Old 08-28-2008, 09:18 AM

ORIGINAL: Ben / PA

ORIGINAL: Rickmur

That's one badass decoy
I have been thinking of decoying, but is bigger better? Won't he just act like a scarecrow to any buck smaller than him?
I thought the same thing before I used it. I had little bucks doing circles around with their ears laid back. If it's the right time of year those bucks go crazy of this thing.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

How do you guys haul them in/out of the woods? Do they come with a duffle bag? I'm not sure if I am set up in areas that would work well for dekes. I'm hunting very thick honeysuckle/grapevine/briar thickets this year....I think once I actually see the deer, it will already be in range or close.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also, a nice thing about is that it packs up nice and easy and is not a pain to put back together. Under 2 min. to unpack and put together. Also, the decoy has little hooks on the insides of the back legs to hang whatever scents you choose to use. I usually just sprayed the decoy down with a non scent cover spray and hung a scent bomb or those white wicks with dominant buck urine.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buttonbuckmaster

How do you guys haul them in/out of the woods? Do they come with a duffle bag? I'm not sure if I am set up in areas that would work well for dekes. I'm hunting very thick honeysuckle/grapevine/briar thickets this year....I think once I actually see the deer, it will already be in range or close.
All of the legs, tail, head and antlers store inside the body cavity. It comes with a orange strap that connects to the body for easy carrying.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:28 AM
Typical Buck

Rob, are there any bucks in PA that wouldn't feel intimidated by this decoy haha....hope you are using it in the midwest or somewhere other than PA, because from what I hear from other hunters in PA is they don't have too many deer even this decoy'ssize!!

I use a carry-lite buck and love the results, lots of attention from deer, no big success stories yet buy only had the decoy for one season and anxious to put it back to work this fall!! My fiance would have likely killed a big wall hanger had we had it one evening, as we had a buck committ to calling to 55 yards but then wouldn't come any closer.....needed that decoy!!! Good luck!
Old 08-28-2008, 09:36 AM

Rob

You should put his antlers on backwards and see if you can lure in a "Rob" buck.

Quick Reply: Who uses decoys?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.