Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 errrrrrr thats sucks >

errrrrrr thats sucks

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

errrrrrr thats sucks

Old 08-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default errrrrrr thats sucks

i had picked a spot right off a creek to hang my climber.
It had a trail 5 to 10 feet from a tree that would be great for the stand.
I found it about a month ago maybe alittle less.
Well i went back today to check it out better. and see if i need to do anything before hanging the stand.

The is a tree just in front of the stand tree that is just big enough to hide the stand and hunter from the deer.
The deer can not see you until they get across the creek and up the bank.
By the time they could see you there quarter away and ready to be dropped.

When i went back to day i walked the creek from the parking spot.
I found three or four other trails running from the creek i plan to hunt with a pop up blind. They all had alot of tracks on both side of the creek. so much that it looked like the dirt had been tilled. some deep and big most fresh.

I get to the spot i plan to hang my stand and see little to no fresh tracks.
The first time there were tons. not sure what happen.
One thing i can think of is a month before i found the spot we had a ton of rain the creek even flooded out to the side i planned to hunt.
Which seemed to clear the area out. I did see alot of tracks even were it was flooded just a few weeks before.
but today the creek was low due to the fact we have had little to no rain in three or four weeks.

There was still water just not much.
The area where the deer cross the creek was high and had no water in it.
Seems like a good area for them to cross. Water right there on each side of the trail.

On the opp. side of the creek there is a thicket just of a clover sorghum field.
The area is thick with saplings 8 or 10 feet high. and there are alot of thick weeds and berries on the edge.
They seem to come from behind the thicket and cross the creek then enter the field to the east.
The trail seems well used on both sides it is worked down to dirt on both sides.

Question i have is should i still hang my stand there and hope they use it come Oct. or find a area with more fresh tracks.

I just am unsure if they just have not been using the trail and will use it during season or if it was a early summer trail.
What would you do.
If you need more info i am going to change my goggle map to reflect the new info i have let me know and i will post the map
Old 08-27-2008, 04:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: errrrrrr thats sucks

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=1075618055 19961621604.000452773c431175627ae&ll=39.096512 ,-87.372154&spn=0.003239,0.006866&t=h&z= 17'

here is a google link the area by the creek in the middle of the field is the area i am looking at
the last marker is the site i had planned to use for the stand
Old 08-27-2008, 05:12 PM

Oct is still a month away and they could be doing something totally different, chaeck it again about Sept 26-30 and see what's up.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

when should i hang my stand i had planned to do so some time between the 1st of sept which is when it is legal and the 7th
ORIGINAL: Vabowman

Oct is still a month away and they could be doing something totally different, chaeck it again about Sept 26-30 and see what's up.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:40 PM

as late as possible but enough time to let things settle. I said to do this if you were usure of the traffic. For the last several years, I would not even scout a spot until a week before b/c of the acorn drop. it was late!! but they fell just in time and the deer found them and it was all good... ideally, if you can hang the stand on the 1st of sept and stay out of there you will be good, but you may hang it and they may not beusing that area. I would wait and slip in qwuietly on day in the mid day and see if they have been there , bring your stand with you and hang if they have.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you hung your stand now, and sat in that stand, could you see far enough up and down the river to see if they are crossing someplace else?
Old 08-27-2008, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

it is a creek and i could see far but not more then 75 yards or so
ORIGINAL: BigDaddy12t

If you hung your stand now, and sat in that stand, could you see far enough up and down the river to see if they are crossing someplace else?
Old 08-28-2008, 04:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Why are you hanging a climber now? Take it in when you plan to hunt and climb. If it's a lock on I like to hang those in the spring based on the info from the previous year. I think your stinking the place up. You already have plenty of info. Just hunt.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tim--things change rapidly in the woods. You need to get a climber to become portable on public land. If not, you need to get a pop up ground blind so you can adjust to the changing environment, and more importantly, to the other hunters on the public land. Take it from me, one who has pretty much hunted public land for the last 15 solid years, you have to make moves when things change, or you will have many unproductive days in the field. BEST of luck to you Tim.

Brett
Old 08-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

i have a ladder stand not a climber
ORIGINAL: nodog

Why are you hanging a climber now? Take it in when you plan to hunt and climb. If it's a lock on I like to hang those in the spring based on the info from the previous year. I think your stinking the place up. You already have plenty of info. Just hunt.

Quick Reply: errrrrrr thats sucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.