Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 If you could give one piece of advice? >

If you could give one piece of advice?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If you could give one piece of advice?

Old 08-27-2008, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: If you could give one piece of advice?

To new guys: Don’t force the shot. If it’s not there, it’s not there.

Conversely to your advice though is what burned me last year. Don’t be afraid to move and change things up. Sticking it out and giving a property TOO much chance killed me.
Very good piece of advice!!

Another good piece is to get in early and stay late. When I first started hunting I would get to the stand only a hour or so before dark, patience really pays off and if you sit out there for a longer time you will be amazed at how many more deer you will see.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bow hunting is an up close and personal thing, Keep your shots under 20 yards and your blood trails will be short and fruitful.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Second, Put the time in the stand and trust your instincts. Hopefully there is a reason that you picked the tree that your sitting in. Trust those insticts and go with them.
Love that
Old 08-27-2008, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

Plain and simple...The more you hunt the more you learn....so get out there!!!!!!!
Old 08-27-2008, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Know the primary food sorce and when it changes andyou will consitantly kill deer.

Never walk around your hunting ground looking for fresh sign, beforeor afterthe hunt.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

pay close attention to your entry/exit routes to and from the stand. plan them meticulouly.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Must be present to win!!! You can't kill one and you can't learn anything if you aren't in the woods, so spend as much time as possible in the woods!!!
Old 08-27-2008, 10:30 AM
Typical Buck

First point is to agree with all the previous points and to add to them is to be ever vigilant while on stand....pay attention and keep a watchful eye....you never know when it may happen...or what is happening while you are playing cell phone games!! GUILTY!! Patience and vigilance.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

My advice has to do with Elk Hunting... If you feel like you should make a move, then do it! Elk are loud creatures, don't be afraid to make a move!!!
Old 08-27-2008, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Shoot your bow with the broadheads and arrows that you will hunt with...Test each arrow with a broadhead, then put a new one of the same type before you put it in your quiver...

Shoot from the stand that you will hunt from, not just an elevated stand...Shoot with what you will wear while hunting...I know a hunter that over shot a deer 3 times, he finally found out he was losing his anchor point because of the headnet...

Learn to shoot from an elevated position...You shoot over deer because:
1) The deer ducks the arrow...The only solution is to only shoot at relaxed deer...

2) You have bad form when shooting down...Not only bend at the waist, bring your nose down to touch the string, if you don't then you have raised the rear sight and you will shoot high...If you just drop your arm, you will shoot high...The correct distance to hold on is from the base of the tree to the deer...

Quick Reply: If you could give one piece of advice?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.