Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 2008 Elk Hunting Contest Teams!!!!!! >

2008 Elk Hunting Contest Teams!!!!!!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

2008 Elk Hunting Contest Teams!!!!!!

Old 09-29-2008, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 2008 Elk Hunting Contest Teams!!!!!!

100 yards from big herd bull last night.. couldnt get him to come any closer, his cows went the wrong way; away from me. call shy buggar too. needed a decoy last night. 2 more days left of early archery season.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Come on Bro! Let the Idaho boys rein supreme!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-29-2008, 08:45 PM

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Yea sorry guys I didn't get the job done. Came about as close as one can several times without killing an animal. I just needed a break at the critical moments and couldn't catch one. You'll have that.

Till next time.
No problem Ryan...after spending Saturday with some kind of stomach flu, I had to give it one more shot sunday morning. I spent the whole morning in an area I thought for sure would produce and only had a couple deer come in, does only....then I had to leave and drive my work truck out. Wouldn't you know that not 2 miles from my hunting area off the highway I ran into a whole heard of elk! 20+ cows, two young spikes, and a real nice 6 point herd bull. All on private ground. Nothing I could do but watch the herd as my archery season faded away.

I'm going to try like heck to get a cow with my bow in late season, but will have a rifle shouldered during the hunt as I'll be meat hunting

About your hunt...sometimes it is not about the kill, but about the experience. You WILL get your chance someday bro!
Old 09-29-2008, 08:57 PM

ORIGINAL: Muliefever

Come on Bro! Let the Idaho boys rein supreme!!!!!!!!!!!!
Draged my sick butt around the mountain sunday..just was a day short and a dollor late. Found the herd on posted ground that afternoon. Awesome experience just watching a big herd bull with his cows. Then watched him cross the highway with the whole herd from unit 22 to unit 31...moved from weiser zone to brownlee zone...elk season not only ending, but the herd now in a zone I can't hunt..lol...oh well, that is the breaks.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's all part of the game.. Man I seen a huge bull that was killed off of Cutty mt. a solid 360 bull!
Old 09-30-2008, 08:46 PM

Great bull! Hunting elk is one heck of a chore with a lot of luck involved. Is that a CO bull?
Old 09-30-2008, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

no bull for me tonight, damned elk were right above were I've been parking to hike in around the mountain.. I walked up my sneak trail, stepped out onto the grassy skid trail and there was the herd! elk everywhere, the nice bull cows running all over.. my heart sank a bit, I tried knocking an arrow and shooting one cow but no dice, she bailed just as I got my release snug onto my string loop. .............so I hiked on around the mountain and sat in a ground blind and saw three different whitetail bucks.. 2 decent bucks and one nice 4x4.. the smallest buck walked by me at 15 yards .. got behind me and down wind and got nervous and tromped off..

And that officially ends my early archery season for elk/whitetails.. Oct 10th I can hunt them again until Dec1 any weapons.. and I will bow hunt it mostly.. so I still have a great chance to kill an elk before the seasons over.. Oh I have late Archery Dec 10-23 for elk and deer too.

peace/out for now
Old 10-01-2008, 05:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

AW man Troy, them buggers have a way of showing up at the wrong place & wrong time
Old 10-01-2008, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well after hunting a week in CO anda week in MT I still did not ever get to loose an arrow at an elk. I was close, but both my father and I went zippo after two weeks of hunting. I really still can't believe it, but that is the way it is. Don't really want to get into the details.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:51 AM

ORIGINAL: huntingson

Well after hunting a week in CO anda week in MT I still did not ever get to loose an arrow at an elk. I was close, but both my father and I went zippo after two weeks of hunting. I really still can't believe it, but that is the way it is. Don't really want to get into the details.
Sounds like an expensive trip with two out of state tags! Better luck next time!

Quick Reply: 2008 Elk Hunting Contest Teams!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.