Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 2008 Elk Hunting Contest Teams!!!!!! >

2008 Elk Hunting Contest Teams!!!!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

2008 Elk Hunting Contest Teams!!!!!!

Old 09-22-2008, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 2008 Elk Hunting Contest Teams!!!!!!

Just got all my gear put away from the 4 days out. Sorry Team3 I dropped the ball. It was raining most days but got some good hunting in. The elk seemed to be bugling for about an hour in the morning and an hour at night but when it was raining and the morning after the storm they were silent. It seems late but I don't think they have even started rutting on that mountain range yet. I saw elk every day but only one was in range.

I was bugling back and forth with him. After about 20minutes he poked out of the clearing. He was a 5x5 and I would guess he was a 275-280 bull. Very mature not a rag horn at all. I set up and bugled him in. It was awesome. Everytime he would bugle or chuckle I would immitate him. He was getting so pissed. Scraping the ground and all. He came in and walked what I guessed 30-35yards. In all my hunting experiences I have never been shaking so bad in my life. I pulled it back and the pins were all over the place. I wished I would have put my diaphram in my mouth before so I could have stopped him. He was just walking though. I let the arrow go and watched as it went about 1" in front of his chest. Perfect height on the shot. I don't know if I missed because I was shaking so bad or if it was when he squatted at the sound of the bow going off. He definitely flinched. I went to look for my arrow thinking he was way gone and he chuckled again. I moved to the edge and he was standing about 70yards. I am not comfortable that far out so I tried to call him in. Imitating his every sound. He once again got pissed off and made a racket but never committed. He knew something was up after the first on.

Oh well everyone misses. So I am still a bow kill virgin. Still rifle season.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:11 PM

I feel your pain! There is nothing like bringing a bull in close. The times I've done it I've nearly p!ssed myself and never got a good shot off. I think the tandem method (a caller and shooter) might be a better method but its hard to get somebody to commit to just being a caller unless you've paid for an outfitter.

There's always next year!
Old 09-23-2008, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is what it is all about! I missed a HUGE 7 point when I was sixteen, not a day goes by that I don't think about that! Hope you all the best of luck for the rest of the season!
Old 09-25-2008, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Mulie, very cool!

Elk are going nuts here the last few days, Still trying to get Rybo his bull, he had a deflection yesterday .. Bummer.. we have been right with the big boys.. really brushy thick terrrain.. Ryan was 10 yards from the big herd bull 320 + 6x6 and 14 from a nice 5x5.. NO shots though.. he needs a break, soon as he gets one killed I will start hunting ..hes here till Sat.. I've just been calling for him. I did have a spike sneak into me one day but I didnt have a shot in the brush..

Old 09-25-2008, 12:20 PM

ORIGINAL: shed33
Ryan was 10 yards from the big herd bull 320 + 6x6 and 14 from a nice 5x5.. NO shots though.. he needs a break
Go Team 7! Hoping to hear on the next post that he seals the deal.

Looking at my last opportunity at a bull this weekend. If I don't seal it, then I'll have a chance at a cow until end of November if they move down to the winter range early.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:12 PM

ORIGINAL: shed33

Elk are going nuts here the last few days, Still trying to get Rybo his bull, he had a deflection yesterday .. Bummer.. we have been right with the big boys.. really brushy thick terrrain.. Ryan was 10 yards from the big herd bull 320 + 6x6 and 14 from a nice 5x5.. NO shots though.. he needs a break, soon as he gets one killed I will start hunting ..hes here till Sat.. I've just been calling for him. I did have a spike sneak into me one day but I didnt have a shot in the brush..

Wow I hope you realize how lucky you guys are.. we didn't get into any elk here in WA and most people I talked to didn't either.. but our early season is over already.. you guys are just half through and the rut is finally going.. man I wish I lived in Montana again.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:43 PM
Fork Horn

I haven't heard or seen anything and its just getting cold. I don't think I'll be able to get out until the late season.and I can only get a cow. I don't care meat is meat.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:26 AM

ORIGINAL: rjdumas

I haven't heard or seen anything and its just getting cold. I don't think I'll be able to get out until the late season.and I can only get a cow. I don't care meat is meat.
I went out yesterday and didn't see or hear a thing except other hunters, two of whichI shared a "conversation" with. My area seems either overpopulated or wolfed out this year. Middle of the day I felt ill, so runing into those two other hunters put me in a fowler mood.Ended up catching some bug that put me in bed today and probably tomorrow as well with the chills, snivelsand shivers. Drinking a hot tautty now to try to get rid of it. Looks like it is late cow for me as well rj...and more than likely a rifle kill, so no points for the team, just meat in the freezer...
Old 09-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yea sorry guys I didn't get the job done. Came about as close as one can several times without killing an animal. I just needed a break at the critical moments and couldn't catch one. You'll have that.

Till next time.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:38 PM
Typical Buck

Should of had my buddy register...called this one in for him the 1st evening it was just as fun getting it all on the Canon GL2

Quick Reply: 2008 Elk Hunting Contest Teams!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.