Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 2008 Elk Hunting Contest Teams!!!!!! >

2008 Elk Hunting Contest Teams!!!!!!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

2008 Elk Hunting Contest Teams!!!!!!

Old 09-08-2008, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 2008 Elk Hunting Contest Teams!!!!!!

Wow you guys can hunt in both seasons?!?! if that is so that is so Cool I wish we could Bow and if we don't get anything buy a rifle tag. We have a early and late bow season tho.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

IUt is still OK in Wyoming to hunt both archery and rifle season with the same tag. They have had discussion on making hunters choose one or the other. It is nice.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:03 PM

Heading out tomorrow for 8 days and the forecast is calling for highs in the mid 80's all next week in Washington.. will likely be in the high 60's up high but this weather sucks for getting the rut going! It may be another year that the late hunt will come in handy if I can get away.

Go Team 2!
Old 09-11-2008, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

Hey guys,

Dang I went out on wed, and I didn't see or hear any elk. Its also 50 in the am and 75 at 12pm and then 80 at 3pm. Its been a lot of fun getting out there and trying to call them. The only thing that sucks is that I haven't even seen a cow. The buddy I hunt with says he always see at lest one cow, but oh well I still have time. I'm also liking all the walking and sitting. With rifle I would go in shoot it at whatever dis. and then take it home. I'm glad I made the switch. I just can't wait to get the chance to pull back on something.

Good luck to all.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:02 PM

So has anyone scored yet?

It sure sounds like you guys are having some fun in Idaho! I'll be making a week long trip to eastern oregon starting next weekend. From what my buddies over there are telling me, the bulls are starting to scream and it is on!
Old 09-12-2008, 05:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

One week from today!

About as pumped as can be.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:09 AM
Fork Horn

Just back from NM and it was a bust. I passed a spike and a cow in 10 days of hunting. It rained all but 2 days. It was the 6th day before I saw an elk while hunting. We spoke with hunters that had drawn unit 15 and hunters in 16 that had paid up to $8,000 for guided hunts and had not seen a single elk. This was 7 days into the 10 day hunt!The earlyseason needs to be hot and dry so the tanks produce activity and that just wasnt the case. The weather was just horrible and the numbers of animals in our unit 23 were Very low. We worked on one 340 class herd bull for four mornings and evenings and got within a hundred yards or so 3 different times but that was as good as it got. Other hunters got onto him and boogered him clear out of the unit. We still had fun and made the most of it. If nothing else I got 13 days of camping and hiking in the mountains.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fletch920

Just back from NM and it was a bust. I passed a spike and a cow in 10 days of hunting. It rained all but 2 days. It was the 6th day before I saw an elk while hunting. We spoke with hunters that had drawn unit 15 and hunters in 16 that had paid up to $8,000 for guided hunts and had not seen a single elk. This was 7 days into the 10 day hunt!The earlyseason needs to be hot and dry so the tanks produce activity and that just wasnt the case. The weather was just horrible and the numbers of animals in our unit 23 were Very low. We worked on one 340 class herd bull for four mornings and evenings and got within a hundred yards or so 3 different times but that was as good as it got. Other hunters got onto him and boogered him clear out of the unit. We still had fun and made the most of it. If nothing else I got 13 days of camping and hiking in the mountains.
just to get to work on a 340 class bull is awesome.. too bad it didnt workout, was he with a lot of cows?
Old 09-12-2008, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

here is a set of 350s I found a few years ago.. just to size up a 340 bull.. again Fletch.. I bet it was a blast just getting to see and hunt a bull of that caliber.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

What an awesome find, Troy!!!

I keep looking around while I'm out in Colorado hoping to stumble onto something like that...

Quick Reply: 2008 Elk Hunting Contest Teams!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.