Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 2008 Elk Hunting Contest Teams!!!!!! >

2008 Elk Hunting Contest Teams!!!!!!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

2008 Elk Hunting Contest Teams!!!!!!

Old 09-06-2008, 08:19 AM

Default RE: 2008 Elk Hunting Contest Teams!!!!!!

Jearred-
I guess you must know this area well then Hey, give me some pointers since I just moved here..lol. John Sutton owns the piece right behind me, and Tom Sutton lives just down the road. Dusty Sutton's wife Jennifer babysits my kids twice a week. Can't go too far around here and not run into a Sutton.

Cuz-
Would you just arrow that spike and leave the big dog for Ryan! Your freezer needs the meet! Come on, trip the trigger...ya know ya want to! Do it man..do it!! [8D]
Old 09-06-2008, 09:53 AM
Typical Buck

Scott- he is going to hammer a big ole whitetail this weekend, then him and Ryan will double up on Bulls!
Old 09-06-2008, 03:22 PM

Na Mike...he needs to cull out that dink buck and leave the big whitetail for me come December

Actually Cuz, have you seen Eliot this season?? (Eliot is the buck I passed on last December at Troys that had one antler missing, but a nice 5 point on the other side. Very young buck with good promise in a couple years.If that other antler grows back normal he will be a dandy crab claw 10 point or better. We nicknamed him Eliot from the movie Open Season )
Old 09-06-2008, 11:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

checking in after hunting today.. on the ground again for whitetails and elk.. slow day.. until the last 20 minutes of light this evening.. I was just about ready to call it a night when 1/2 a dozen cows come barreling into my set up and then a spike. They were standing exactly where the spike did last night. I was pretty much pinned down at 20 yards since I had set up in a slightly different spot. I watched them hoping to see a bigger bull. As light faded I was about to give up the notion that a bigger bull had moved in when I look straight up the mountain and there he is at 60-70 yards.. real nice 5x5 or 5x6 bull, havent seen this one before.. new to the herd.. He's staring right at the cows that are 20 yards from me, he gives out a couple real brief chuckles and walks towards them they start walking up the trail towards him too. Away from me.. He gets closer to them and he bugles and they walk away up the trail.. I slipped out after they moved around the corner in the dark. I think its time to start calling and working these elk a bit..they are finally starting to act rutty...might get a receptive bull to come in.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:42 PM
Fork Horn

Thats sweet man. I hope you get that bigger bull to come into you. Good luck glad you seen some thing.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

checking in.. hunted both Sat and Sunday.. I blew it Sat morning and was busted by a whitetail doe (while hiking into the big draw in the dark an I even took my boots off and was hiking in a double pair of socks) trying to get in on the elk.. the whole elk herd moved up on the mountain and were not receptive to any calls.

Sundays hunt I switched over to an area that abig whitetail is living in and I didnt see him. I did have a nice bull moose come into my ground blind.. 10 yards broadside.. got some great footage of him and then he walked off.. Wish I had a bull moose tag..

back after em again tonight in a good spot for both whitetails and elk
Old 09-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Cuz-
Would you just arrow that spike and leave the big dog for Ryan! Your freezer needs the meet! Come on, trip the trigger...ya know ya want to! Do it man..do it!! [8D]
I’ll take the spike, I’m not picky. But at least you can toss a rope around his neck & tie him to a tree for me [8D]
Old 09-08-2008, 02:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry, Team 2... didn't get it done. Almost, but not quite.

Here's a full recap @ http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3020517if you haven't seen it; it's mostly a pictorial but does have a small recap of the week's events.

Best of luck to everyone else... I'm pulling for ya, Troy!!!
Old 09-08-2008, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: shed33

checking in.. hunted both Sat and Sunday.. I blew it Sat morning and was busted by a whitetail doe (while hiking into the big draw in the dark an I even took my boots off and was hiking in a double pair of socks) trying to get in on the elk.. the whole elk herd moved up on the mountain and were not receptive to any calls.

Sundays hunt I switched over to an area that abig whitetail is living in and I didnt see him. I did have a nice bull moose come into my ground blind.. 10 yards broadside.. got some great footage of him and then he walked off.. Wish I had a bull moose tag..

back after em again tonight in a good spot for both whitetails and elk
Good luck Troy. I'm sure you don't need it, but it never hurts
Old 09-08-2008, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

Any updates from Team 3's hunts?

I have hunted three days in Wyoming in the first week. Didn't see a thing after the day before opening day. Oh well the rut hasn't started and I still have a 7 weeks left.

Question: Is this contest just for bow season or the entire elk season bow and rifle? It is in the archery forum but didn't specify.

Quick Reply: 2008 Elk Hunting Contest Teams!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.