HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   I may get another wack at this guy.. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/259934-i-may-get-another-wack-guy.html)

shed33 08-27-2008 12:57 AM

I may get another wack at this guy..

For two yearsI have been looking for abuck I shot at and missed as I had my string snag my grunt tube lanyard; I was crouched on the ground in a man made ground blind at the time. My arrow went sailing through the air and the big buck dashed off. I looked for him the entire season. Nothing. Then looked for him all last season and while elk hunting accidentally stumbled across his shed antler only 200 yards from where I got the shot at him, I knew instantly who it belonged too. Still, Inever saw the big boy for certain during the season. (thought I might have jumped him once as he ran off, but couldnt be forsure)He is a hvy racked deer, as his shed and the view I had of him whilescouting him two yearsago and whilemissing him stood out.

Then recently this past month a buck that looks exactly like him .. big main framed 5x5 has been showing up on my trail camera about every 3 days at a late night water hole in which is only 100 yards from the shedfind and 300 from whereI missed him and had been patterning him 2 yearsago.. basically he has moved back deeper into the forest wherethe water hole/spring is...Right now, I have several dozen photos of himthis past monthand figured I'd better share a few. The only difference I see in his rack is a small spliter hes formed on his tall browtines.. I think he has officially earned a nickname.. "spliter" I am almost positive this is the same buck. Hvy rack, not real wide,good tine length nothing outrageous but just a very solid Idaho whitetail. If it is him, .. hes still living in the same big basin of timber backed by the big mountain I missed him on..

Here are a few recent photos, I believe he is a 150 class gross buck and thats probably all he will ever be. I think I missed him 2 year ago when he was 3.5 possibly 4.5. that would put him at 5.5 or 6.5 now..

solocamcan 08-27-2008 01:13 AM

RE: I may get another wack at this guy..

Nice buck, I hope you get a 2nd chance at him this fall.

I know your pain...3 yrs. ago my brother who lives in New Mexico convinced me to go Elk hunting, and on the last morning Ikept hearing cow calls, so I started cow calling, to make a long story short, what I thought were 1 or 2 cows turned out to be a train of 13 Elk, 10 cows, 2 spikes and a 6x5, he got stright from me and turned and started walking like I had a leash on him, at 40 yards he stopped and turned, I started to draw back and heard my arrow bouncing off every inch of my bow, I peered out of the corner of my eye and seen my nock still attached to my string...of course a 4 min stare down insued with me trying my best to hold my bow back at 50% draw...guess who won. I never been so upset at myself for not checking something so simple as that.

MarquetteMagnum 08-27-2008 01:19 AM

wack away my fellow Deacon, wack away!

Siman08/OH 08-27-2008 01:21 AM

Awesome buck, good luck at a second chance.

bloodcrick 08-27-2008 01:46 AM

Let the chess match begin ;)very nice troy

StruttinGobbler3 08-27-2008 02:33 AM

very nice buck, good luck on that second shot. tip-next time, put that damn grunt call on the ground before you shoot! ;)

peakrut 08-27-2008 02:46 AM

It is always great to have some history with a certain buck hope you get him Troy.

racewayking 08-27-2008 05:39 AM

Good luck getting him this year Troy!

njbuck22 08-27-2008 05:48 AM

Troy, best of luck to you putting your tag on that brute. Not only are you one of the nicest guys on this site, but you work harder at getting a mature buck than anyone here. No one deserves it more than you. Just make sure you take lots of pics.

Any chance you can give us some details on how/where you construct your ground blinds? It seems like it has been a very sucessful strategy for you.

Rory/MO 08-27-2008 05:53 AM

Awesome buck. Good luck.