Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 seeking some help on some Mathews bows >

seeking some help on some Mathews bows

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

seeking some help on some Mathews bows

Old 08-26-2008, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default seeking some help on some Mathews bows

I have lately freed up some funds and have seriously thought about purchasing a new bow. I currently have a Switchback and it's a great bow. I have tried out other brands (Ross, Bowtech, Hoyt, PSE, and Parker) and to me Mathews has always been my favorite.

Anyways on with the question. I shot the Drenalin last year when it came out and fell in love with it. Shot the DXT a few weeks ago and though it too was a great bow. I have not had the time to play with these 2 bows enough to make an educated decision on which one to get.

Is the extra money really worth 2 shorter inches and 2 fps faster? The guy didn't have any Drenalins on hand ready to shoot at the time so I wasn't able to put one up against the other. I haven't made my mind up 100% to get a new one as my Switchback has done everything asked of it. Also I know in a few months the new Mathews bow will be hitting the market.

Just curious on what some of you have thought about these 2 bows.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: seeking some help on some Mathews bows

i've been looking for a new bow myself lately and like you i prefer mathews after shooting some other brands. i went and shot a dxta couple weeks ago and fell in love with it immediately, only issue i had with it is the sharp string angle caused by the short ata length, but thats something i believe i would get used to after a few shots. other than that, it was great, smooth draw, no hand shock whatsoever,very fast.anyway, i haven't shot the drenalin yet, but i was told the drenalin and the dxt are essentially the same bow, besides the dxt being two inches shorter and marginally faster. i plan to decide after shooting both and seeing which one fits me better, but at my local pro shop the drenalin costs about fifty more dollars than the dxt, so chalk up one for the dxt lol
Old 08-26-2008, 09:53 PM

I was faced with the same dilema last Christmas. I went from a Q2 to a Drenalin. I shot both the Drenalin and the DXT, while they both shot great I seemed to like the Drenalin a little more. I also thought that the little extra ata would make it a more forgiving platform while still being small enough. I like my Dren but I'm sure I would have been happy with either. I researched both a lot before making my decision and did notice the sharp string angle that others have mentioned. I did not know if it would be annoying or make much of a difference. I'll never know now...
Old 08-26-2008, 10:03 PM
Typical Buck

I decided on the dxt, i like the shot ata and it is still a great shooting bow, also the store i puchased it at the drenalines were 720$ and the dxt 725$, so 5$ diffrence i figured since i like a small ata i could spend the extra 5$, i love my DXT and i havent had any problems with it so far.

Also i dont mind the string angle, i only have a 26in draw, and i like that i can wear a hat without it touching a string so it does not bother me at all.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Keep the SB. IMO it is a better bow than either the DXT or Drenalin. It shoots better, holds steadier, more forgiving, and to my ears quieter.

Or if you must get a new bow get the new S2 or SB-XT.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Keep the SB. IMO it is a better bow than either the DXT or Drenalin. It shoots better, holds steadier, more forgiving, and to my ears quieter.

X2...the shorter ATA is not going to be as forgiving as your SB. But its your $$$, so get whatever bow your comfy with.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:21 PM
Typical Buck

what do you guys mean by forgiving? sorry i guess i'm not up on all the bow terminology but this is probably somethin i need to know before i buy my new bow
Old 08-26-2008, 10:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's not a must for me to get a new bow at all and there are probably other things that could be more useful to me than a new bow. Thanks for some of these opinions...I actually haven't heard anyone say before that the SB was a more quality bow. The main reason why I was at this point leaning towards the Drenalin was 29.75 seems to short for a hunting bow IMO. This is also the same reason I have an 05 Switchback instead of the XT.

Like I said earlier I hadn't had enough time shooting the bows to make a decision yet just a few shots out of both of them.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: StruttinGobbler3

what do you guys mean by forgiving? sorry i guess i'm not up on all the bow terminology but this is probably somethin i need to know before i buy my new bow
You can get away with more hand movement on longer bows, the shorter ATA bows are typically faster, but you have to be more steady.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Illinois Buck Hunter

It's not a must for me to get a new bow at all and there are probably other things that could be more useful to me than a new bow. Thanks for some of these opinions...I actually haven't heard anyone say before that the SB was a more quality bow. The main reason why I was at this point leaning towards the Drenalin was 29.75 seems to short for a hunting bow IMO. This is also the same reason I have an 05 Switchback instead of the XT.

Like I said earlier I hadn't had enough time shooting the bows to make a decision yet just a few shots out of both of them.
IL Buck Hunter....Where are you from?

Quick Reply: seeking some help on some Mathews bows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.