Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What to do about Wild Dogs >

What to do about Wild Dogs

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What to do about Wild Dogs

Old 12-29-2009, 06:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default What to do about Wild Dogs

Not really sure where I should ask this question, but I'll ask it here anyways. My family owns 30 acres with a house on it and for the past three months we have been seeing two dogs running around on our property and chasing all the deer off of it. We have driven up to the dogs on our ATV hoping to scare them off, but they wont budge and they don't act very friendly at all. My first intinction would be to shoot them, but they have collars on. We've asked all the neighbors if they know who they might belong to but nobody does. So I guess I'm just trying to figure out what you guys would do. To me it seems these dogs have definitely formed a small wild pack and they are almost constantly on our property.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

If they have collars then they probably aren't wild. But if they are causing too many problems and don't leave soon. Call the animal control. They will get them.

If you don't want to call them. I would just shoot them. I remember reading a post on here a while back of a pack of dogs that had banded together to be like 15 or more of them. They went rampage on a certain neighborhood and ended up killing a young girl. No way I would let that happen.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

laws about dogs running like that vary from state to state but one solution is SSS (shoot,shovel,shutup) and never mention it!
Old 12-29-2009, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

shoot them
Old 12-29-2009, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll look into that animal control and if that doesn't seem like a good option I'll be sure to take a good shot. Don't want those dogs around for the next round of fawns.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:59 AM
Typical Buck

Wisconsin, we shoot them. DNR or landowners do not want them here.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Indiana we can shoot them as far as I know. I was in north Carolina and had a neighbors dog running my yard dragging stuff off and chasing the turkeys off. When I got chicken he tried to get a hold of them. I called the local sheriff to ask what I should do. He said honestly I would shoot them it is perfectly legal. I was a little surprised by this but so be it. I did ask about hauling it off and he said it would be theft. One day my dad walked outside and saw it sitting by the fence around the chicken coop. He hauled it two counties over and gave it to some random guy at a gas station. When he came up he walked out back and popped off about 5 shots and went inside. Two days later the dog house was sitting right on the little creek between our houses and it was facing our house. He could not shoot the thing. Had it been me I would have. I had about 500 bucks in my chicken and they had come to be like family.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

If no one that borders you has claimed them, then its tough luck dogs, your number is up. I would check again with the neighbors to be doubly sure, and then eliminate them if no one claims them. Animal control will catch them and do the same thing.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
Had it been me I would have. I had about 500 bucks in my chicken and they had come to be like family.
Not to change the subject but that is one expensive barn yard pimp right there!! A $500 dollar chicken?? He better bring you a beer whenever you need one lol

Here in Va. if a stray shows up and acts standoffish or appears it maybe violent you have all rights to shot it. A buddy of mine had one stay in his back yard for two days, he called animal control and told them he had tried to run it off but it wasn't working. They told him he had the right to shot it, so he did, they even came out and picked it up afterwards.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have killed many dogs in my day, that is one thing I don't play around with. When I was younger, I had a dog tree me. I was in that tree for hours before I found the nerve to shoot him, after than, I have always shot unfimilar dogs first and asked questions later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.