Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Changing what isn’t broken >

Changing what isn’t broken

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Changing what isn’t broken

Old 08-26-2008, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Changing what isn’t broken

I usually change things up because I'm overcome with sheer boredom with my current gear.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do it becouse I injoy it, its alot of fun. I bought 4 new set's of camo last month, I went to get somerain gear and came home with 4 set's[8D][8D]

Old 08-26-2008, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is nothing moreproving to methan actual performance in the field on acritter, so when Iexperience a great set up work well, I stay with it until it fails me then I research for a better option(bows, arrow set up etc.)I stick with it if its working. I still think its hard to beat an ACC conceptfor ashaft and a razor sharptwo blade coc head.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I rarely change things for the sake of change.I buy the best equipment I can afford at the time and then use it until I wear it out or I use up what I purchase.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think it's human nature to want to try new gear. It's easy to get bored with old gear and when I'm waiting on the season buying gear keeps me involved in the hobby.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm in a bit of a unique situation.........you could say.

Part of my job as Corporate Staff for Bowtech is to use the newest flagship bows from Bowtech and Diamond (and now Ross) both in the woods and target ranges, beat the crap out of them, evaluate em', kill stuff with them, win stuff with them, make my recommendations ,and then start all over the following year.

Just like you don't name the beef cows, I don't get too attached to any of my bows in particular.

I have settled on certain things as far as accessories go, Spot-Hogg Sights for one, I also belong to a couple national shooting staffs by virtue of my shooting resume (Carbon Express for one)

......but broadheads will always be a tinker item for me. I have a pretty good eye for evaluating what should and shouldn't work on the end of my arrow so I don't make stupid choices.
I try to tailor each arrow/broadhead combination to the particular bow set up and game I'll be after to maximize the energy it provides.
I think I have something like 15-18 different broadhead sets at my disposal ready to go as I type this.

One area where I have really been "feeling out" what works and doesn't work for me is traditional archery. I've finally settled on 1 longbow, and 1 recurve that not only please my sense of aesthetics but meet my demands for performance and shootability in my hands as well.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't change much from year to year...I have the same bow I bought 4 years ago, same rest, same sights, same arrows...only thing I am changing this year is broadheads....going to the 100 grain slicktricks based on alot of feedback from the forum members.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to have supreme confidence in what I am using

I have tried certain things this year, that never experienced in the 24 years I have been in archery

Meaning, I have switched bows seven times before returning to what I had last year - some had issues beyond my control, I could have taken deer with all of the bows, but I want 101% confidence. I have that now, I have a certain level that I want my equipment to perform at, and I know I am the biggest part of the equation. But certain bows meet all needs and certain don't ,call this my weeding out year.
I bought two identical bows and don't plan on purchasing another for many years -
I am happy with my arrows, rest, stabilizers,wrist sling
Sights- I like to try different things- normally single pin or multi pin is what I try differently
Broadheads - I am a tinkerer there and used several brands in last 10 years- Trying a new one(to me) this year Wasp Boss 100 grain
Old 08-26-2008, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

I think tinkering is one of the things that attracted me to bowhunting (besides growing up with it). I like to try new things. It's a great way to learn about the equipment. So far this year I changed my sight, rest and arrows. Each for different reasons, but each has been an "upgrade". My old setup worked just fine, but it's just fun to try new things.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:29 PM
Typical Buck

You just have to remember that some people like to try new things. You learn this a lot in sales classes. Some people just want to see what's out there, see if new products work, and aren't afraid to take a gamble if it doesn't. Then there are guys that know what they know, and are happy with what they have. It's all a mind set, and no one is wrong for trying new things or being a stuborn old fart.

Quick Reply: Changing what isn’t broken

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.