Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Recovery, What To Do After the Shot. >

Recovery, What To Do After the Shot.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Recovery, What To Do After the Shot.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Recovery, What To Do After the Shot.

ORIGINAL: ducsauce

Don't know if its in here but pack some extra toilet paper. You should anyway.Comes in handy while tracking. Make yourself a TP sprinkled path if you have to.

Also, I tried to find it but failed (lousy search feature). Maybe someone could post Matt/PA's thread about his buck he tracked last year. Pure determination I tell ya. I read that thread many times last year when I was in the same situation. Unfortunately, my tracking success came months later when he was just skin and bones.

I tell you guys one more thing...I thought I gave my buck plenty of time to succomb last year but apparently did not. I gave him about six hours and then went after him. I wanted my buck and didn't want the meat to spoil. Sometimes you can't have it both ways.
Ducsauce,
Here ya go, the story of my deer from last year. Ya know almost a year later this is still an open wound for me. I get emotional, upset and frustrated every time I think about it because I really feel like I should have been able to put it together sooner than I did.

http://www.huntingnet.com/fieldjournal/fieldjournal_detail.aspx?nID=753

I guess the moral of the story is that you have to be honest with yourself......."Have I truly done everything in my power to find that animal?"
If you feel guilty that you gave up to soon then no you didn't.

I trusted what I saw, and the fact that I knew I was dealing with a dead animal even though in 2 days of searching I honestly never found a single drop of blood. (other than the one drop that was on the ground where the broken half of the arrow rested.)
Faith is spending 2 days on your hands and knees without the faintest clue that the deer was ever there.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

What many don't know and I'm not afraid to say it, had I NOT been in a cast I would have made the drive and put my dog on Matt's trail. Although not legal yet, there is a bill in the house to make it so, ethically it was the right thing to do. It would have salvaged the meat and hide as well. Ethically I had no quams and I know we would have found it that night. Where legal, make arrangements or check the United Blood Trackers state to state listings of willing and eager trackers.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

I really feel like I should have been able to put it together sooner than I did.
You and me both brother. Even though it took me a LITTLE longer...the closure was a much needed thing. I had bad dreams about my buck, dreaded hunting the same stand, etc. I deal with it much better since he was found.

Rob

I checked that United Blood Trackers site but there are no trackers in VA. Whats up with that? I mean here's a state that loves running deer and bear with dogs but we don't have any dogs availableto track a dead deer?[&:]
Old 08-26-2008, 08:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

I really feel like I should have been able to put it together sooner than I did.
You and me both brother. Even though it took me a LITTLE longer...the closure was a much needed thing. I had bad dreams about my buck, dreaded hunting the same stand, etc. I deal with it much better since he was found.

Rob

I checked that United Blood Trackers site but there are no trackers in VA. Whats up with that? I mean here's a state that loves running deer and bear with dogs but we don't have any dogs availableto track a dead deer?[&:]
You may have to check the laws, I'm sure it's legal if running dog is and hey, I know some fantastic breeders so you can be one of us. It's quite alot of fun. Here's my little guy.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:39 PM

Sure is a cute little fella.

Makes sense to have a deer tracking dog on hand since hunting is...well....my favorite thing to do.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Makes sense to have a deer tracking dog on hand since hunting is...well....my favorite thing to do.
If I know Axel he's not just sniffing that deer...... [:-]

That little horn dog never misses an opportunity with anything that will stand still long enough. LOL

He'll find your buck alright but chances are it will be violated by the time you get there.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was just about to say "little Axel" looks like he is getting ready for a "tea-spooning" job on that buck.

LT
Old 08-27-2008, 05:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

If I know Axel he's not just sniffing that deer...... [:-]

That little horn dog never misses an opportunity with anything that will stand still long enough. LOL

He'll find your buck alright but chances are it will be violated by the time you get there.
Did Germ have anything to do with training that dog?
Old 08-27-2008, 11:50 AM
Spike

Excellent info.!!!
Old 08-27-2008, 09:54 PM

One other thing that has helped me out in the past is understanding the importance of staying undetected both before, during and after the shot. Sounds pretty straight foreward but it is so important to remain undetected after that shot. TV shows guys taking a shot, and then talking, fist pumping, whatever. If you have shot an animal and it doesnt know you are there or doesnt know what has just happened, your odds of finding that animal increase dramatically as opposed to that animal knowing a "predator" is on their trail.

Quick Reply: Recovery, What To Do After the Shot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.