Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tresspassing to find a mortally wounded animal >

Tresspassing to find a mortally wounded animal

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tresspassing to find a mortally wounded animal

Old 08-26-2008, 09:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Tresspassing to find a mortally wounded animal

Maybe simply call the guy?
Old 08-26-2008, 11:40 AM
Typical Buck

I watched this episode with babe winkelman, he said that he had the legal right to track his animal on the land but instead chose to abide bythe landowners request that he not go on his land.

If it is my animal, I amrecovering it regardless of the landowners desires
Old 08-26-2008, 01:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

if i choice to recover the deer weather i had permisson or not i would not ask the owner unless i was sure he would say yes. It would look harder on you if you were told no and did it anyway.
As far as i know the first time you tresspass they can not do anything but give you a cheap ticket
ORIGINAL: dmen

I watched this episode with babe winkelman, he said that he had the legal right to track his animal on the land but instead chose to abide bythe landowners request that he not go on his land.

If it is my animal, I amrecovering it regardless of the landowners desires
Old 08-26-2008, 01:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not to beat a dead horse, but it always helps to work with adjacent landowners to work out some sort of mutual right to retrieve arrangement. Having said that, there can can be a very fine line between someone enforcing their property rights and being a first class penis, especially if they are a fellow hunter. The type of people that would say no under those circumstances are generally the same ones who would come on your land without permission in a heartbeat to retrive a deer if the tables were turned.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

well i had some land in ky a small tract. It had be let go for years. so i was working on making it a little piece of deer heaven.
On one day i caught two guys tresspassing who had rifles no orange vest. And it was not gun season.
I told them to leave and not come back. I also informed them i atleast three or four times a week would target shoot my ar15 that shoot 700 rounds a minute and the land was small and i would hate to shoot one of them not knowing they were on the property.

I then caught another guy whos said he was scouting for deer. i told him it was private land.

If someone knocked on my door and said i shot a deer can i go get it. I would say yes and help them find it.

But if i was to find someone tresspassing saying i shot a deer and i am looking for it. i more then likly would tell them to leave.
That is not to say i would not go get my deer on another property.
But i would ask before i did.

thing down there. you do not tresspass without permisson if you do you might get shot.
also i knew everyone around me and would have had no proplem getting my deer
ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Not to beat a dead horse, but it always helps to work with adjacent landowners to work out some sort of mutual right to retrieve arrangement. Having said that, there can can be a very fine line between someone enforcing their property rights and being a first class penis, especially if they are a fellow hunter. The type of people that would say no under those circumstances are generally the same ones who would come on your land without permission in a heartbeat to retrive a deer if the tables were turned.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

What do you do if before season an adjacent landowner says NO to allowing you to retrieve a deer that travels on his land? What if the adjacent landowner who turns you down hunts the property you hunt as well? Do you:

1. Not hunt on the property
2. Hunt the property but not retrieve the deer if it crosses
3. Retrieve the deer
Old 08-26-2008, 02:50 PM
Spike

Default RE: Trespassing to find a mortally wounded animal

I respect landowners, but if they deny access to their land for no reasonand would rather let the deer waste away or take it for himself without tagging it, I lose all respect for that landowner. YES, that deer does deserve the respect to be retrieved rather than end up coyote food.

If the landowner gives me permission but wants me to wait till he can accompany me I will respect that and abide by his wishes. I will make every effort to gain permission. If I am denied and decide to trespass it is my sole responsibility and will be willing to suffer the consequences.

Probably 9 times out of 10 they will let you get your deer.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

Good response tenpointer65.....I completely agree.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Plain and simple, there really is NO reason for any reasonable person to not allow you entry to recover an animal unless they have something to hide, or are just plain being a JACKHOLE!!!! I'm not trying to gain entry to stir up anything, or to find anything they don't want people to know about, I'm doing my job as a responsible hunter recovering my animal. This isn't about respecting the animal more than someone's civil rights, property ownership and respect has nothing to do with retrieving a deer, it has to do with repeated trespassing, destroying one's stuff, etc. In all honesty, I don't know very many guys in my area that WOULDN'T go get their deer even against the owner's wishes. But that just may be the REDNECK'S of SE Ohio. Again though, if that person wants to be a JACKHOLE, I DO have much more respect for the deer than the person or any of their "rights."

This isn't about "the foundation of this country...." THAT'S @%&$'ing BS!!!! The "foundation of this country" was made of people who hunted and fished and USED to have mutual respect for each other, were "NEIGHBORS," not people who live in the same proximity but have nothing to do with each other. There NO REASON for ANY LANDOWNER to deny you entry to recover an animal as long as that is what you are LEGITIMATELY doing. You're not going to "SCENT" there place up and keep deer from coming through if they're a hunter worried about that, dragging a dead deer through will certainly do it's job to cover over your scent.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

If someone has asked prior to season and I've denied them, then I have a good reason.
Usually linesitters hunting our property instead of their open fields bordering us.
One who is denied has 5 acres we surrond on 3 sides.
He sets up on the inside corner line tree with his stands hanging over and facing our property.
Everthing he shoots at is on our side. We catch him - straight to court.

Or they are the ones who we have caught claiming to be on a blood trail - with no blood trail ever found.
If caught,straight tocourt everytime - no warnings.

If they have not asked and are caught in season, they may get a warning depending on their attitude and if the evidence supports their claim.
Bad attitude, lying, or 2nd time - straight to court.

We have this worked out with most of the neighboring landowners.
They/we allow recovery with notice prior so we do not bust their hunt.
The rest either refuse to play nice or are off from bordering state land.

No reason not to have this worked out ahead of time.
Not hard to do the right thing - unless you can't be bothered.

Steve

Quick Reply: Tresspassing to find a mortally wounded animal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.