HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   when you guys scout (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/259584-when-you-guys-scout.html)

millerhunter13 08-25-2008 06:22 AM

when you guys scout

do you guys where camo, and use scentfree stuff, or do you just go in and look for sign, rubs, bedding areas, and all that good stuff

thehairlessone! 08-25-2008 06:24 AM

RE: when you guys scout

I try to do it way before season opens and I use cameras, feeders,etc. to get a good idea of what is there. Sometimes I find a spot during season and then I will try to get setup over there asap and give it a try

rick

huntingson 08-25-2008 06:25 AM

It depends on the time of year. If it is during the season I try to leave as little impact on the area as possible. If it is not during the season, then I don't worry about it.

millerhunter13 08-25-2008 06:31 AM

thanks guys, keep it coming

GMMAT 08-25-2008 06:49 AM

I often hear about deer knowing the difference between the guy cutting wood, walking with his wife, picking apples............and the guy actually HUNTING him.

If that's the case (jury's still out as far as I'm concerned).......why would we wear camo and act in a concealatory/predatory manner?

I think this is a good question.

Schultzy 08-25-2008 06:53 AM

I do not.

BigDaddy12t 08-25-2008 09:46 AM

I have in the past, but dont think I will this year.

floridabucks 08-25-2008 11:24 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I often hear about deer knowing the difference between the guy cutting wood, walking with his wife, picking apples............and the guy actually HUNTING him.

\

This is probably only the case in agricultural areas where humans are often working in the area. In my case I hunt Wildlife Management Areas and deeper woods types of areas that don't see much human intrusion except during hunting season. So in the case of these deer, you would think they are spooked by human scent because it is not a norm and is only present during hunting season.

I always try go scent free. Why risk spooking a buck out of the area?

gri22ly 08-25-2008 11:36 AM

Feb, Mar and Apr. no scent controlor cammo.

kickin_buck 08-25-2008 12:23 PM

I was hanging stands yesterday. 95 degrees outside, they don't make enough scent elimination spray. Hanging stands is the only reason why I am in the woods this time of year, I do most of my scouting in Jan, Feb and March. I do a lot of glassing from roads in July, Aug, and Sep. I figure I will get in, get done what needs to be done, stink the place up for a day, get out and don't come back until mid Oct. Like I said, when you are sweating your butt off, there is nothing you can do.