Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 rage broadhead - loud >

rage broadhead - loud

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

rage broadhead - loud

Old 08-25-2008, 09:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: rage broadhead - loud

And.....w/out stretching....

Old 08-25-2008, 11:41 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT
I like to get downrange and have someone else shoot it BY me. Hear me out, here.....and ALWAY (I can't stress this enough)...ALWAYS exercise EXTREME caution when doing this. But I'll have someone shoot it from a distance behind me while I stand off to the side, behind a building. I want to hear what my arrow sounds like traveling through the air. This is "more" important to me for the real-life, field situations.
Thanks GMMAT, did this one last night and didn't tell my Dad which arrow was coming, every time he said he could hear the rage head not as loud but as noisier than the field points.
Great idea about the camera, as long as my aim is on I will still have a camera and will post the results.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:21 PM
Typical Buck

wow... the ol rage debate.... GO GMMAT!!!! lol
Old 08-25-2008, 01:25 PM
Dominant Buck

No debate. I simply posted a photo. Picture's worth 1.000 words.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:31 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: stabnslab_WI

ORIGINAL: Bowhunter1591

ORIGINAL: stabnslab_WI

The only RAGE you are going to have is your temper with these broadheads.
have you ever shot them???
Nope I just like talking about them! Yeah I shot two bucks with the rage. One shoulder hit and one deflected off a rib. Shoulder hit was my fault. Itcurled the tip of the broadhead. The rib shot was1/4 away shotat 20 yards on a 4.5 year old buck. My arrowhit the rib and dida 90 degree turn and went up into the shoulder. The buck grab the arrow and pulled it out. Trackedand jumped bothbucks and continued to watch them throughout the season. Shot one of the bucks during riffle season (the one I shot in the shoulder) Never had a problem with Muzzys going through ribs or shoulders. I changed because I read the forums, wish I never did. Rage might work on those small deer from south. But you shootbucks that go around 220-300 poundson the hoof, you need penetration.It is a good gut shot broadhead and thats it.
I don't doubt what you said happened, but guess what...

NO BH, fixed or expandable, is busting through the "knuckle" of the shoulder and all BH's can and have deflected. All shoulder hits are different based off what you hit in that area. One arrow will blow right through and the next one gets 2" of penetration with the same BH.

A year or 2 ago, Greg Miller on North American Whitetail tv show, shot a buck with a muzzy and they didn't find it until the next day. After examing it they found out that the BH, a Muzzy, deflected drasticallyon entrance and he even talked about the deflection on the show. Stuff happens.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Dominant Buck

Annika:

Same thing happened to PatReeves on a HUGE buck on camera, last year (on his show). I would have sworn (as would anyone watching) it was a lethal hit. it ended up being deflected off the ribcage and only piercing the skin.

The buck was killed a while later, during gun season, and the wound was barely noticeable. Trail cam photos were also gathered of the buck shorty after he was arrowed.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:41 PM
Fork Horn

GMMAT

Thanks for reminding me of that one. I had forgotten about it.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:41 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

And lastly.....I saw a video clip, once, of a guy shooting BH's at his block target. The camera was mounted on top of the target. He made clips of the sound heard from the archer's POV (or, point of audio, if you will). He again recorded the sound using the method I cited......getting the audio of the arrow, in flight.

And MOST importantly.....the audio he got of the arrow.....from the standpoint of the target.....was VERY telling. Let's just say the deer may hear your bow.....but I'd be VERY surprised if he heard your arrow coming at him. It was amazing. "Stealth" is an understatement."Silence" would be a better term. His little scenario showed that the ONLY thing heard from the target.....was the sound of impact (assounds pertain to the arrow, itself).....and by that time....the target islosing blood.

Here we go, first shot is thefield point and second is the rage 2 blade practice tip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzQa-yhguHk
Iadmit from this perspective I can't hear a difference.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:07 AM
Dominant Buck

That's what the deer hears.