Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 First 30 minites with the LW sit and climb >

First 30 minites with the LW sit and climb

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First 30 minites with the LW sit and climb

Old 08-23-2008, 08:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: First 30 minites with the LW sit and climb

I hardly ever sit so the seat comfort means little to me. Chris
Chris:

Letme climb a few more times.....but I'm thinking you might prefer the hand climber, then.

It's different than climbing with a summit. You're closer to the tree....if that makes any sense. It's just "different". Really light, though....and really easy to climb with, though.

The top portion is gonna have to get better, though. Thats a PITA.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

THere are a couple things I especially like about the Lone Wolf Hand climber model.........(I used one last weekend in the mountains with a buddy setting treestands)

*For one it is absolutely going to be quieter climbing than a Summit in it's HAND climber configuration or using the Sit and Climb top as a hand climber.
If you can sit on the rail of a Summit Viper or the bar on the LW Sit and Climb model you can take care with how you manipulate the platform section and climb quietly.
With a hand climber or open faced Summit like a Cobra you don't have the same ease and control over your feet to quietly slip the platform up the tree. You also can't LOOK DOWN at what you are doing to avoid contact like you can when you are sitting on a bar.
This is where the LW will really shine in climbing...........you don't get that clanky scraping sound if you get sloppy dragging it up. If you have never used a Summit hand climber style like a Cobra then you can't make the comparison until you have.

So in climbing.........LW vs Summit in a sit and stand climb style is pretty much a wash for noise if you take care but the LW is easier to be sloppy with and still be quiet........... but in a HAND climber configuration the LW is a MUCH quieter stand to use.

* Like Jeff said actually setting the LW up is about the same as a Summit in function but IMO the LW style with the belt makes it much easier to BE QUIET while doing it. You CAN set up a Summit quietly (Trust me I know I've been using them for more than 10yrs) but the LW allows you to be "heavy handed" with the attachments in the dark without fear of the dreaded CLANK! []

* PAcking the HAnd climber LW is about as stupidly simple as it gets. The simple bungee and criss crossed tethers hold the 2 flat sections together simply and quietly. I could pack up a Summit prety easily too but it required doing it JUST RIGHT and is obviously bulkier. It was easy to get the "Walking Clanks" where you would have to stop and reposition something that was making a crappy noise to the cadence of your walking.

* I personally LOVE the high bench seat that the hand climber has. (Like I loved the original Summit Bushmaster and sort of the new Summit "Open shot" tops.
I don't care if the top is Lazy Boy comfy , what I want is the high seat that sits level with the frame. That was mypersonal pet peeve withthe Summit Cobra and why I wouldn't use the LW Sit and Climb model either. I don't want to be suspended in the seat with the frame sitting up high where it can get in the way of steep side angled shots. This has happened on numerous occasions and I have had to let deer walk because I couldn't get the pin on them.
I like being up high and able to shoot straight down left or right without fear of hitting that frame almost like sitting on a stool.
I alternate between sitting and standing and that style seat works perfectly for me. I loved the comfort of my Summit Cobra top but the seat section in the heat of battle caused me undue stress thinking about it being in the way.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

* I personally LOVE the high bench seat that the hand climber has. (Like I loved the original Summit Bushmaster and sort of the new Summit "Open shot" tops.
I don't care if the top is Lazy Boy comfy , what I want is the high seat that sits level with the frame. That was my personal pet peeve with the Summit Cobra and why I wouldn't use the LW Sit and Climb model either. I don't want to be suspended in the seat with the frame sitting up high where it can get in the way of steep side angled shots. This has happened on numerous occasions and I have had to let deer walk because I couldn't get the pin on them.
I like being up high and able to shoot straight down left or right without fear of hitting that frame almost like sitting on a stool.
Very useful info, Matt/PA. I have the Summt Bushmaster and I can relate to what you're saying.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Again, as I've said in the past,it willbehoove you to put a screw hook behind/under the traction belt of the seat portion so it CAN'T slip down if you go to stand up.
In addition to keeping the platform from possibly falling away during climbing, I thought that the tether straps that you cinch down on either side after you set the seat height pull the seat front down snugly providing pressure which keeps it from falling down? Almost like someone sort of always sitting on it?

Or am I not understanding it's function correctly?
Old 08-23-2008, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Again, as I've said in the past,it willbehoove you to put a screw hook behind/under the traction belt of the seat portion so it CAN'T slip down if you go to stand up.
In addition to keeping the platform from possibly falling away during climbing, I thought that the tether straps that you cinch down on either side after you set the seat height pull the seat front down snugly providing pressure which keeps it from falling down? Almost like someone sort of always sitting on it?

You are correct Matt but Early's stand doesn't have the straps, it is a newer feature than his stand has I believe.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: buckeye

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

You are correct Matt but Early's stand doesn't have the straps, it is a newer feature than his stand has I believe.
Yes, mine's the older version, and doesn't have those straps. My stand just has the "sling" type seat.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's a simple thing with me, If I pay top dollar I expect my butt to be wiped. I don't expect a disertation on how to wipe it. Why you guys pay for this stand is beyond me.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:00 PM
Spike

I initially purchased the LW Hand Climber. While I loved the packability and lightweight, the "hand climb" method was much too gymnastic for me and the seat was torture, even for a 3-4 hour sit. I developed another method for climbing (the new hand climbers have a strap that you sit on so that it almost becomes a sit-n-climb method) and added padding to the seat to make the seat almost bearable. I used this rig for two years, but preferred to use a ladder stand when possible to avoid the discomfort.

Last year I purchased the Sit-n-Climb seat to use with my LW platform. Slightly more weight, but still very portable and packable. I have no problem with the "bar" for climbing nor do I have a problem fitting into the seat (I am 5' 11" and 200#). The seat is entirely acceptable: in fact, I can sometimes nod off in the stand (an indication of the comfort). Having the seat hang below the rails allows the rails to serve as arm rests (better comfort), but they also interfere with most seated shots (unlike the hand climber seat where there is nothing to interfere). Istand duringthe higher probability times and plan to stand before taking a shot at the other times.

Before purchasing the LW I purchased a Summit Viper and then immediately returned it: far too bulky and cumbersome to carry through the woods.

I am thoroughly pleased with the LW. I may still use the Hand Climber seat occasionally (if I buy or make a sit-n-climb type strap to use with it), but I used the LW Sit-n-Climb all last year and like it very much.

Regarding the problem with the seat falling, I do not find this to be a problem once I begin to climb for one simple reason: I move my safety strap up the tree BEFORE I raise the seat. Each time you sit on the climbing rail the seat portion bites into the tree and remains stable. If you raise the seat first and then try to raise the safety strap, there is no bite to keep the seat in position and the seat may fall. However, raising the strap and then raising the seat just before I sit on the rail solves the problem. I have dropped the seat several times just after putting the stand on the tree, but I don't believe that I have ever dropped the seat once I started up the tree.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seriously function is where it's at. Light, strong, quiet setup. Who cares about how it looks, looks are for mall dwellers not hunters.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was wrong, I also paid $40 for the XL traction belts. My mistake.

Quick Reply: First 30 minites with the LW sit and climb

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.