Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 First 30 minites with the LW sit and climb >

First 30 minites with the LW sit and climb

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First 30 minites with the LW sit and climb

Old 08-23-2008, 06:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: First 30 minites with the LW sit and climb

The LW isn't for everyone. I can't see too many women using it, either. Most I know wouldn't be strong enough.

It's also not an "all day sitter" in my book. What I willl use it for.....is certain spots where I'll likely be evening hunting.........and getting into some tight spots (Where I might not see deer coming from a ways off....and might get caught sitting down).

It'll have its' place.

I love to hunt a lock-on......love to climb....and they all have their advantages and disadvantages. How much does that ol man weigh, Rob? Isn't it steel?
Old 08-23-2008, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff, you need to be careful when using those extra long traction belts (I have them), because with my older stand at least, the tree has to be of a certain largerdiameter, or else the belts won't adjust in enough to secure the stand.They will bottom out, so to speak, before the stand is snug to the tree. Like I say, this happens with an older stand. It may be the same with yours. Bring the smaller ones with you in your day pack/bag just in case.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Getting it on the tree. Let's be honest here, guys....you have to unlatch one side....and put the traction belt in the other side. It's not "better" than the Summit. It just isn't. Is it OK? Yeah. It's fine.
What makes it better thanthe summit in this department IMO is that it is infinitely more adjustable. On the Summit you can only adjust every 6 inches or so. On the LW you can adjust it every inch. Also, the traction beltsnot havingthe lugs which can and will clang against the stand at times like on the summit.

Even if you tried to be noisy attaching the traction belts on the LW you would be hard pressed to make any noise.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:03 AM
Dominant Buck

I hear ya Scott....but in3 yrs using the summit....the amt of adjustability just never was an issue. Also....unless you're just a total shleprock....the shrink wrap tubing over thesummit cables makes them pretty silent (especiallyif you take your time).

Again....ALL I'm saying is...."I"don't find one to be "better". I'm not touting one over the other. I'm gonna get good use out of both.

Buckeye....did you order the xtra long traction belts? $40 + shipping is kinda steep! (about now, anyways....lol). I'm gonna get pissed, though.....if I can't get up the tree I want. So I'll bit the bullet.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great thread, GMMAT. I've been considering a LW for several years, but haven't executed the purchase yet.

I'm always a bit put off by how many times I've read comments on this forum about how the LW is less comfortable than the Summit.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:18 AM
Dominant Buck

vc1111.....it IS more uncomfrotable than the Summit....but it's not touted for its comfort. DOn't get me wrong....if it was awful....I'd tell ya. It's not.

Ya know, Scott.....by the time I finish...I'm gonna have as much in mine as you do yours.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

My straps were $30, I ordered them thru a local shop, so I didn't have to pay shipping. I haven't picked them up yet though.

Did you never have any trouble with the shrink tubing wearing off on the lugs? I had to replace the shrink tube a few times on mine. It sucked to... They say to use a hair dryer... Our hair dryer did nothing at all to shrink the stuff, I mean nothing.... I ended up boiling water and holding the cables over the steam to get the tubing to shrink.

Ya know, Scott.....by the time I finish...I'm gonna have as much in mine as you do yours.
Don't forget the foot rests
Old 08-23-2008, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff - Sounds like you're happy w/ it, thats great!

One comment, you dont need to step over the rail. Just angle it down. You can still shoot sitting down, just push it down below your knees. Then when you stand to shoot you have that rail to stabilize your legs against and give you a better shot.

As for the having the top slip down, I've never really found it to be too bad. I usually put all my weight on it to get it to "bite" in on the tree. If that doesnt work you could try to lean on it to put some weight on it. Or lastly you could put the seat bungee around the tree to hold it in.

I'll be getting mine in a week or so!
Old 08-23-2008, 07:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Did you never have any trouble with the shrink tubing wearing off on the lugs?
Good question, Scott. To be honest...I was gonna take the cables out of my other summit and put them in the one I use a lot, this year.....but I sold the extra summit. So I'm in that boat, RIGHT NOW. Between you and me......the cables have been on my vier for 3 seasons....and they do need replacing. If I thought I could get 3 yrs out of th enext ones (which I will....since I'll be using it less)....I'll probably do the fiscally irresponsible thing and just order new cables, altogether. I'd keep the ones I have as backups.

Never changed the tubing.....and probably never will (just being honest).

One comment, you dont need to step over the rail. Just angle it down. You can still shoot sitting down, just push it down below your knees. Then when you stand to shoot you have that rail to stabilize your legs against and give you a better shot.
Good stuff, there, Ed. Thanks. I'll try that!

SCOTT:

Forgot about the footrests. Do you REALLY like those? I was gonna try and hold off.....because they "appear" as though they may ge tin the way if you were standing. Let me know how it goes with them.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the review Jeff. I think I will let you get a few more sits and ask you again as you get more familiar with it. I have plenty of climbers but was just wanting a new one. I hardly ever sit so the seat comfort means little to me. Chris

Quick Reply: First 30 minites with the LW sit and climb

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.