Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 First 30 minites with the LW sit and climb >

First 30 minites with the LW sit and climb

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First 30 minites with the LW sit and climb

Old 08-22-2008, 06:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: First 30 minites with the LW sit and climb

ORIGINAL: Sportsfann

Does that help with my JUNK comment????

No not me??
Here let me say it differently....you are paying for the Cadillac and getting the cavalier??? Less quality but BIG dollars???
Old 08-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Carpmaster

GMMAT, they are cast aluminum correct?

I am a Corporate Process/Tooling Engineer for a fairly large Aluminum die caster...upon my review(which would be majorly heightened than the average joe)of the quality I was shocked!!! These are finished insome form of a powder coat, which gives it a nice finish....BUT....the flash (no noto 90% of out customers, 100% if there is ANY and I mean any cosmetic or handling requirement) off of the ejector pins and parting line was still present, the gate and overflow vestige was rediculous as was trim shear....there was also RAW aluminum showing = huge customer reject problem if caught to 99.9% of products....the defects ARE visual to the average joe and that is my complaint!!! Does that help with my JUNK comment????
With all due respect Mr. Tooling Engineer, I'd say you went a bit, quite a bit,overboardwith your detailed review. Get real dude! Anyone, I don't care who you are, or what you do "professionally",who uses the word JUNK while referring to a LW standneeds their head examined.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

....what does it offer for an extra hundred that summit don't???
In my opinion, much quiter, packs better, much more stable and solid, lighter (unless you get the small platform summit).

I understand that not everyone like the same stands, and I don't hate summits, They are good stands and will serve the average hunter well. But to me my LW is great, I couldn't ask more out of a stand. I just can't comprehind someone saying they are junk.

Lets use your cavalier/cadillac analogy. It would be like someone in a cavalier telling me my cadillac is junk, lol.

(BTW, I don't have a cadillac. In fact I drive a crappier vehicle than 99% of the people here I bet)
Old 08-22-2008, 06:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: early in

I am a Corporate Process/Tooling Engineer for a fairly large Aluminum die caster...upon my review(which would be majorly heightened than the average joe)of the quality I was shocked!!! These are finished insome form of a powder coat, which gives it a nice finish....BUT....the flash (no noto 90% of out customers, 100% if there is ANY and I mean any cosmetic or handling requirement) off of the ejector pins and parting line was still present, the gate and overflow vestige was rediculous as was trim shear....there was also RAW aluminum showing = huge customer reject problem if caught to 99.9% of products....the defects ARE visual to the average joe and that is my complaint!!! Does that help with my JUNK comment????
With all due respect Mr. Tooling Engineer, I'd say you went a bit, quite a bit,overboardwith your detailed review. Get real dude! Anyone, I don't care who you are, or what you do "professionally",who uses the word JUNK while referring to a LW standneeds their head examined.
Just my opinion of quality for your buck...
Old 08-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Dominant Buck

If you mean the paint peels off easily.....I'm OK with that. It's gonna happen sooner or later, anyways.

Not a biggie, honestly.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

If you mean the paint peels off easily.....I'm OK with that. It's gonna happen sooner or later, anyways.

Not a biggie, honestly.
No I mean for the $$$ from a big name you should get what you pay for, their platformas are the best design out there...period....cast is awesome for a stand but I was let down with overall quality...I am done sharing my opinion now......
Old 08-22-2008, 07:32 PM
Dominant Buck

No I mean for the $$$ from a big name you should get what you pay for, their platformas are the best design out there...period....cast is awesome for a stand but I was let down with overall quality...I am done sharing my opinion now......
Cool!

Why is it the only ones complaining (most times) are the ones whoDIDN'T spend the money....and the ones who DID arent complaining?
Old 08-22-2008, 07:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am sure I would like it, but my first impression was bad and like I said I may be more nitpicky than the next guy on a cast anything....my buddy that hunts from one likes his older model but says it isnt very comfy but maybe the new one will be!!! Sorry to be such a stick in the mud.... they are quiet, sturdy and have well thought about designs......just less than expected quality.....

Also my real name isn't negative nancy!!![8D]
Old 08-22-2008, 07:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nice concept, kindof busy IMO but for the money you should get better quality....what does it offer for an extra hundred that summit don't???
From a respnose I made a couple days ago in a thread answering Jeff's initial questions about the differences...

You know I was a long-time Summit user, and still am. I'vehunted out ofDeer Decks, Deer Deck Lites, Copperheads, Openshots, Cobras, Vipers... you name it and I've pretty much used it.

In addition to the Lone Wolf Alpha Hang On I picked up from you afew yeas ago, Ibought a brand-newLW Alpha Hand Climber at the very beginning of the season last year, so I've got a full year under my belt with it now and can make some very honest and complete assessments, as well as comparisons between the two company's products.

Hunting Ed and others have done a great job in helping you out, but thought you may be interested in the thoughts from a near-15 year Summit user's experience with the Lone Wolf.

There's simply no comparison in the LW's portability and packability. It's almost enough to make a smile spread across your face when you go from carrying a Summit to experiencing the slim profile of the LW.

I've had platforms on my Summits develop creaks. Summit's customer service for its end users is extraordinary, and stories of how customers are sent new stands with no questions asked are common-place and almost ordinary on bowhunting forums; however, that's of little consequence when you're a quarter-mile deep in the woods at 6:45 a.m. on November 3 and you first notice it.

Brushing up against a treewhen packing a Summit in yields a decidely "tink-ish" sound moreso than the solid cast aluminum on the LW due to the hollow tubing; likewise, hiting the platform with your bow cam or hoist rope-ends or any number of equpment does the same.

The main reason I started using LW? Attaching the stand to the tree. The cam-lock system in conjunction to the pliable traction belts took silent to the level I needed as a hardcore bowhunter. Invariably, at least once every 15-20 stand sets with the Summit, I'd have a cable stop slam against the inside of the tube arm that housed and retained the excess cables as I either adjusted their length or freed the cable to wrap around the tree.

As mentioned earlier, if you utilize the straps that secure the top platform to the bottom, the LW is absolutely ROCK solid -- even moreso than the Summit. I used to tout my Summits as rock solid, and they're MORE than adequate, but that was before I bought my LW.

It's also far easier to adjust the angle of the stand from hunting heightshould you happen to guess wrong on the "angle of attack" when looking at the taper of the tree from the ground when you first start out. With my Summits, it was just easier to climb down to make the adjustment and then climb back up. Last year, due in large part to the safety of those retention straps, I was able to make those adjustments quickly and easily while I was still at 23 feet or whatever height I had ascended to.

I had the Rapid Stirrups on my Summits, and the LWs are JUST as quick and easy to use. In fact, it utilizes a very similar principle in that you just wedge your boots in much like the stirrups.

You'll have to look at the comfort issue on your own; for one, I don't have the sit n' climb, and it has a totally different seat system. I can tell you that I've sat in mine for close to four hours at a time many times without undue pain; but I do stand and stretch several times during that duration. Undoubtedly, the Summit wins hands-down in the comfort department. - Me

Old 08-22-2008, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

As an Aluminum Extrusion Engineer I could share many like stories on many products..I could have you ripping your shower enclosures from your house and worrying about the quality of your Swimming Pool, Car, Snowmobile, Trailer..and quality of one of the Top 3 Bow risers. Some things are Proffesionally, better left unsaid.

Quick Reply: First 30 minites with the LW sit and climb

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.