Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Your bowhunting strategy/philosophy? >

Your bowhunting strategy/philosophy?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Your bowhunting strategy/philosophy?

Old 08-20-2008, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Your bowhunting strategy/philosophy?

Management aspects aside, (I don’t care what or how many you choose to shoot), how do you approach your bowhunting?

Are you very passive, sit & wait, hunt low impact?

Are you more aggressive? Risk taking even? Hunt tight to beds, use lots of calls, stalk up on deer if needed?

Do you use as many tools as you can to get the deer you want, or are you more of a method person? You want a deer under your conditions.

As for me, I’d say I am very much on the passive side. This season I plan to try and step that up some. Cautious aggression. Sneak into some deeper stands earlier than normal, maybe use calling a little more. I have a little less time than usual this year, so I am going to try and make better use of it.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Your bowhunting strategy/philosophy?

I am more passive, I always try to be patient and have faith in my stand placement....I am definitely going to try to call more this year though...
Old 08-20-2008, 08:03 AM
Site Buck Guru

I start out by erring on the side of caution. The end result is that I do what I gotta do to get 'er done.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:06 AM

I just run 'em down with my truck. [&:]
Old 08-20-2008, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

depends on how often i hunt the spot. if i hunt it regularly i'm more passive then if i'm on state land. i'm dang aggressive in a spot that i don't plan to hunt again for the rest of the season.

I'm especially aggressive on those morning hunts right before i get out of the stand. the rattle bag really gets a workout then. it paid off 2 years ago. I rattled and growled like a mad man and ended up shootinga doe that was being chased by a small 4 point.
[/align]
Old 08-20-2008, 08:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Usually on a normal year I don't hunt till mid to late October and when I do this I'm usually a sit and wait deer hunter. What I mean is I'll put long hours into an area that I know the big boy's are traveling through some time or another and sit them out instead of going closer to there bedding areas and possibly screwing that up.

This however is what I want to do this year. (Early season, last few weeks of September) This year I want to hunt much, much closer to there bedding areas and try catching them in there staging areas just outside of there beds. I will be trying to hunt one specific big boy instead of a few different ones like I previously stated how I hunt in Late October. So one could say I'll be a bit on the aggressive side this year in the early season.

Early season- Aggressive.

Late season- Patient sitter.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:22 AM
Typical Buck

Cautious (low impact). Aggressive only sometimes..
Old 08-20-2008, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Patient and calm most of the time...at specific times I have found it to be beneficial to get aggressive. I want to be more aggressive this year, more of the hunting of the hunting season. I am going to hit my best spots with a rotation, saving the best for the pre-rut. Of course, I love to stalk hunt a few times in mid-October on new spots just to learn the land and get the kinks out before the long sits of the pre-rut/rut.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm more on the aggressive side - but the reason is that I have more hunting area than I could ever begin to know what to do with, and less time than I need. When I have a day off, I put myself in the best possible situation to arrow a buck. It doesn't matter whether it's October 7th or November 4th.

So, I can totally blow a spot out and never lose a wink of sleep. I've got 20 more fresh stand sites waiting.

Then, by the time I'm starting to feel like I'm burning out my better stands, I'm either tagged-out, or the rut hits, which is like hitting RESET on your nintendo and starting fresh.

**Edit** When I say "aggressive" that doesn't mean that I'm out there clashing antlers and slathering myself in doe piss. I don't use any calls at all, and I only use scents in a very limited capacity. I'm "aggressive" only in the sense that I hunt tight on the beds and try to get myself "on deer" in every hunt.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

It all depends on my area I am hunting and the time of the year. In my archery spots behind the house, I am in a funnel so I know that they will make there way thru. In early season, I will mostly just hang out and enjoy the scenery. Come Halloween, I get a little more aggressive and start rattling combined with some blind calling. But I have a very good buck to doe ratio here and I know they fight so it works. I am also hunting close to some bedding so if they do happen to be close by, they may come to investigate.

Quick Reply: Your bowhunting strategy/philosophy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.