Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 For some reason.... >

For some reason....

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

For some reason....

Old 08-19-2008, 04:37 PM

Default For some reason....

I have been interested in going west to hunt. Bowhunt of course. Something like Elk in the Rockies seems appealing to me. It used to never cross my mind, and I don't think it's Elk as much as it is the territory.. packing it out and going on a week hunt in the wild seems exciteing to me. See, here in Va there is no place like that really, the mts are about as close as you get, but the scenery is not quite like the rockies Im sure. I read a few stories and watched a few hunts on TV about the west and it just seems cool to go on foot or horse for a week and live without all the everyday stuff going on. Anyone feel me or actually do this??
Old 08-19-2008, 04:40 PM

Default RE: For some reason....

Used to live in Denver CO, so have been there and done that. The first time is fun IMO. However, after a cpl trips the novelty of hiking up 40% grades all day carrying a 50lb pack gets real old. (Never did the whole horse/mule packing it in ... maybe that woulkd have made it more fun).

just my .2
Old 08-19-2008, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never hunted the Rockies, I could see the Rockies where wehunted at for 2 years in a rowinNorth Central New Mexico in the Carson National Forest. And I will honestly say, that was the most enjoyable hunt of my life. We lived out of a cooler for 7 days, and took showers with one of those portable solar shower bags you hang from a tree limb, and slept in a 8 person tent. We'd run into town every 2 days to get ice, gasand more water, but town was 1 1/2 hours away. We did everything ourselves, no guides, just our GPS with downloaded maps, and sought out and found some water holes. My Dad and brother both shot Cow's, and I had a AWESOME encounter with a 5x6 at 40 yards, and a 300lb black bear at 20 yards. That land makes a person feel REALLY small. But the inner peace I had while hiking on top of rim rock looking down into a valley, I can't put into words.I just wish I could afford to do it every year. If you want to do it, I say, go for it, you won't regret it.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Landon my best friend Kevin and I are going to Montana the first week of December... great minds huh?

Course we are going after the game of the God's (ducks). But if you need a contact I have one out there.

Any geese hanging around those swamps of yours need a good whacking here on September 1st?
Old 08-19-2008, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

I have never wanted to go hunt anything that Georgia can't offer except antelope and elk. Other than that I am content but those 2 species will be chased in the next 5 years.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

For me, going on a Do it Yourself elk hunt in the Rocky mountains with a bow would be my SuperBowl. I don't think anything could ever top that.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:59 PM

Andy, I have not even looked at those swamps since turkey season! I likely won't look at em til sometime in Oct. I will probably never get to go out west, and Im not sure Im in shape enough to do it!! But it is something I want to at least see someday. Im sure it will take your breath away. hell I go to the mts of South west Va and my breath gets taken from me!!
Old 08-19-2008, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Pretty soon you'll be dreaming of giraffe and elephant hunts.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:12 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

For me, going on a Do it Yourself elk hunt in the Rocky mountains with a bow would be my SuperBowl. I don't think anything could ever top that.
Ditto! Having a few buddies to hunt with would be icing on the cake.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:19 PM

Christine if you throw in a zebra Im there!!

Quick Reply: For some reason....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.