Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 LONE WOLF ALPHA SIT AND CLIMB QUESTION >

LONE WOLF ALPHA SIT AND CLIMB QUESTION

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

LONE WOLF ALPHA SIT AND CLIMB QUESTION

Old 08-17-2008, 04:41 AM
Typical Buck

Default LONE WOLF ALPHA SIT AND CLIMB QUESTION

I picked up a Lone Wolf Alpha Sit and Climb yesterday and of course was anxious to try it out. Once put together I strapped it to a tree and up I went...sort of. Unless I'm doing something very wrong, I can't give this stand very good reviews...as a matter of fact, I'll be returning it. Maybe someone here can tell me if I'm doing it wrong.
The "teeth" of the upper portion seem useless. Each time I would advance up the tree and let go of the upper section it would fall down toward the lower section because the teeth were not biting into the tree. The teeth on the upper section are much smaller than those on the lower section which I did not have a bit of trouble with. Once it bit into the tree it was good.
Also, the bar that you sit on to pull up the bottom platform seems strange to me. On my other climbers that bar doubles as a safety rail of sorts and is right out in front of you and when you use it to sit/climb it's at a perfect location. With the Lone Wolf that bar swings down for you to sit on which the puts your butt much closer to your feet and not giving you much room lift/raise the lower platform up. Sort of hard to explain.
Long winded, but hopefuly someone will have some helpful comments.
Thanks.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: LONE WOLF ALPHA SIT AND CLIMB QUESTION

The seat (top) portion of the stand has to have pressure/weight on it for it to grab properly and stay secure to the tree. Here's what I do to avoid that top section from slipping down to the platformwhen you stand, or take pressure off of it.
When I get to my desired hunting height, I take a treehook and screw it in right below the traction belt (back of the tree)so the seat portion can't slip down. As far as that bar goes, it's only really for sitting on while climbing up. It should be tucked up under your seat when you get set up. Don't use it as a guard rail!If you take that stand back, you're a nut. That's the best climber ever made.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:47 AM
Typical Buck

It's certainly light and packs well, but with this issue, "best climber ever made" is a streatch for me personally. Glad you like yours though!!
None of my other climbers have to have weight on them to stay in place...once firmly set. They have good aggressive teeth to bite into the tree and they stay put. If you have to alwasy have weight/pressure on it what do you do when you have to reach up with both hands to raise your safety rope up higher? Turn loose of the seat portion without any weight on it and it falls.The tree screw behind the belt is a good idea, butI don't feel that I should have to do this. I just don't understand the purpose of NOT having the same type of teeth that the foot platform has.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:49 AM
Dominant Buck

The seat (top) portion of the stand has to have pressure/weight on it for it to grab properly and stay secure to the tree.
What? What happens when you've been sitting for a while and stand up?

Also.....why not use the sitting bar as a safety rail? When you tuck it up under you.....does it stay there or is it in the way of the back of your legs while you're sitting.

I wanna see one of these stands in person. I can't seem to picture all the "good" as most do and overlook some of the things a lot of you do.

And yes....I am in the market. I'll be ordering a stand, this week.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here's the deal with the LW sit and climb. When you're climbing with it, the pressure you put onthe top section is plenty to keep it secure as you're climbing. Any climbing stand relies on a certain amount of pressure to maintain stability. When I got my LW, much like I would do with "any stand", I took a flat file and went over the gripping teeth (top and bottom sections) so they really "bite"well!
As far as the bar/rail goes, yes Jeff, it gets tucked up under the seat. And yes it will stay up in that position, out of the way. After time (depending on amount of use) that rail needs to get tightened. This is just basic maintenence.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:18 AM
Spike

While you are climbing you must maintain at least a minimal downward force on the seat portion: simply resting your hands on this section is generally enough.

When you reach the desired height you sit on the seat and tighten the straps securing the seat to the platform. This makes for a rock solid seat/platform with no danger of the seat falling.

After spending any amount of time sitting in the seat (usually no more than sitting down once), you generally do not need the straps to keep the seat from falling as the teeth on the seat section have now bitten into the tree bark. Once you prepare to come down you will likely need to raise the seat to break it loose.

The only minor annoyance that I have is when is first mount the platform and seat onto the tree: sometimes the seat falls before I get onto the platform (and sometimes this makes unwanted noise).

Old 08-17-2008, 06:31 AM
Dominant Buck

When you reach the desired height you sit on the seat and tighten the straps securing the seat to the platform.
What is this?

The only minor annoyance that I have is when is first mount the platform and seat onto the tree: sometimes the seat falls before I get onto the platform (and sometimes this makes unwanted noise).
I just told a budddy....if he's gonna hunt with me...he'd better practice on climbing, quietly. How big of an issue is this with this stand?
Old 08-17-2008, 06:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BowHntrRick

While you are climbing you must maintain at least a minimal downward force on the seat portion: simply resting your hands on this section is generally enough.

When you reach the desired height you sit on the seat and tighten the straps securing the seat to the platform. This makes for a rock solid seat/platform with no danger of the seat falling.

After spending any amount of time sitting in the seat (usually no more than sitting down once), you generally do not need the straps to keep the seat from falling as the teeth on the seat section have now bitten into the tree bark. Once you prepare to come down you will likely need to raise the seat to break it loose.

Exactly Rick!I've experienced that same situation when first starting up, andmade that same noise![:@][:@]That's just because the seat portion hasn't had any pressure put on it yet. What I do is set the platform up, thenwhen Iconnect the seat I just set it on the platform itself until I'm actually ready to start my climb. You learn these little tricks as you use a stand more and more. When I get totally set up, I usually put my butt down"heavy" to secure the seat section.
The reason I started putting that screw hook under the traction belt of the seat was because one time (when I first started using the LW) I went to stand up as I saw a nice buck coming, and the zipper of my camo pantsgrabbed the frame of the seat, and lifted it as I stood up. It then dropped down onto the platform, making a hell of a noise!![:@]Turned that buck inside out. I swore that would never happen again, and it hasn't.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

When you reach the desired height you sit on the seat and tighten the straps securing the seat to the platform.
What is this?

The straps that attach the seat portion to the platform. Before climbers came with straps I always attached a bungi cord around the tree. Seat never went anywhere.

I just told a budddy....if he's gonna hunt with me...he'd better practice on climbing, quietly. How big of an issue is this with this stand?
Quietest climbing stand on the market IMO.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Quietest climbing stand on the market IMO.
LOL....look above. I disagree!

I might give it a shot.....but it's hard to go away from something proven.

Quick Reply: LONE WOLF ALPHA SIT AND CLIMB QUESTION

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.