HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   broadhead busted! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/257975-broadhead-busted.html)

Deerhunter_515 08-15-2008 07:57 PM

broadhead busted!

ok...so i went to wal mart today and picked up some thunderhead broadheads. i spent about 30-45 minutes practicingand was about to pack up and i was goin through my last round of arrows and on my last shot i flinched or something and my arrow with my brand new broadhead went screaming down our gravel driveway. sparks were flying from the broadhead and my arrow broke into 3 pieces. discouraged...i recoverd my front section of the arrow and found that the broadhead was relatively ok but the blade was bent. should i use this for hunting and does this happen u guys nd gals often or ever??? i belive i can just buy some replacement blades...correct?

Bowtech 360 08-15-2008 08:02 PM

RE: broadhead busted!

Never use a BH you used for target for hunting unless you sharpen.
I wanta pic
I want to see where you shoot also
And at what.

Deerhunter_515 08-15-2008 08:06 PM

i dont have a camera but i shoot at a buckmaster 360 target. do fixed broadheads shoot the same path as field points or do they fly differently. im kinda new so gimme a break...

Fieldmouse 08-15-2008 08:31 PM

I have found my thunderheads fly exactly like my field points. I only use my BH for hunting. At worst, save one that you wouldn't use again for hunti and use it for target. I have one arrow and broadhead that killed 4 deer last year I think that was my count for that arrow). I plan on adding to that number. I love the thunderheads.

buckmaster 08-15-2008 08:38 PM

In a properly tuned bow, a broadhead will fly relativley close to field points,(this of course varies between different bh's IMO) But if your bow hasnt been properly tuned by someone who knows how tune a bow, then you'll have problems getting them to fly straight.

Next, Never shoot a BH at a living animal that you have practiced with. As this dulls the blades and could result in a wounded unrecovered animal. ALWAYS either:

1. Buy seperate BH's to hunt with/ practice with
2. Replace the blades on the BH's you have if there is no damage to the ferrull its self.
3. You can sharpen blades if possible, Ive never even considered this, but if you know what your doing.....

And one more piece of advice, since you said your new to the bowhunting scheme.... Make sure you can group your arrows in a small circle (I would say no moe than 3 inches)at your maximum yardage that you feel like taking a animal at.

rybohunter 08-15-2008 09:21 PM

Yea jsut to drive the point home, don't use the head that went skipping down the road.
Don't use blades unless they are fresh from the package(never shot into anything)
Spin test your heads so they will fly the best. Sometimes with T-heads it can take some time getting the right arrow/head combo.

In all the years I been shooting them, they should be able to be made to fly the same (by tuning your bow). Occasionally the T-heads will fly slightly lower than FP, I've not always been able to over come that one.

Fieldmouse 08-15-2008 09:38 PM

And one more piece of advice, since you said your new to the bowhunting scheme.... Make sure you can group your arrows in a small circle (I would say no moe than 3 inches)at your maximum yardage that you feel like taking a animal at.
I would beg to differ on this one comment. Never aim at the same spot when your target practicing. This can get very expensive when you begin to hit the other arrows already in the target. No sense in screwing up $10+ arrows. I always aim at a different spots and never worry about groupings. I only worry about hitting where I aimed it. Just my 2 cents.

TN Deer Hunter 08-15-2008 09:50 PM

I agree field mouse. I never group arrows will practicing with BH's as if you are shooting 3 inch groups you will not have any fletching left on your arrows. I spot shoot will practicing with BH's. IMO spot shooting is alot better than grouping arrows as in a hunting situation you are not grouping arrows in one spot. It is one arrow going to one spot. The spot where you are aiming at. I have learned that it is easier to group shoot arrows than it is to spot shoot at a target.

thehairlessone! 08-16-2008 05:23 AM

good advice. Dont use it with those blades for sure and practice with your b-heads before hunting to make sure they are shooting properly. It may take a few adjustments to get good broadhead flight but if you do it right you should have them shooting great

rick

GMMAT 08-16-2008 06:40 AM

You don't need to shoot at the same spot in your target to "group" arrows. It's a figure of speech, guys.

1" low, left on 4 different dots is a helluva "group" at 30 yds;)