Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How do you get a guy to? >

How do you get a guy to?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you get a guy to?

Old 08-14-2008, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How do you get a guy to?

Stop gripping the bow and just let his hand relax! When I get him to let his hand relax he grabs the grip as he fires in fear he is gonna drop the bow! He is shooting everywhere but where he needs to be due to all the torque he puts on his bow!
Old 08-14-2008, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do you get a guy to?

Lots of practice. Does he have a sling?
Old 08-14-2008, 02:36 PM

Yeah a sling would help. Also maybe if he does it once and sees how much better he shoots he'll start doing it more.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:39 PM

Blind bale, then blank bale and use a wrist sling. He needs to learn what a good shot feels like.

Paul
Old 08-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: twildasin

Stop gripping the bow and just let his hand relax! When I get him to let his hand relax he grabs the grip as he fires in fear he is gonna drop the bow! He is shooting everywhere but where he needs to be due to all the torque he puts on his bow!
Im in need of this help also!!! I can honestly say that I shoot very well forusing no sling and having a death grip. I shoot very consistant but KNOW that I need to relax on the grip. Just always grip tight when I am shooting...
Old 08-14-2008, 02:46 PM

When I first got my Matthews, I was having the same probelm. My old bow didn't fit me very well, and I had nobody to teach me proper form. I was in that same habbit of gripping the bow. I was having a hard time getting over the mental barrier of not actually gripping my new bow, which I had just shelled out about $1300 for the whole setup, when I shot. My buddy had the same bow, and we shot together a little. Watching him do it made me feel a little better. The main thing was I just had to consiously think about not gripping the bow the whole time when I first started doing it.

One good thing to do might be to take him to an indoor range with the huge block targets so it is hard to miss. Have him stand close to the target and just shoot with his eyes closed. This way, he can not be aiming, so he can concentrate on form. All of his concentration should be on not gripping the bow. And make sure he has a sling.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

he has a sling! I get frustrated cause I know he can do it. Im tired of him throwing arrows into my barn!
Old 08-14-2008, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tim,
Have him tighten the sling....not too tight but tight. then have him drop the bow with the sling on to show him that his bow aint going anywhere. do it like ten times. Then start shooting again.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't get why its so tough to not grip a bow? of course have a sling......but just open up your hand and shoot.

perhaps old habits are hard to break, I dont know, just dont grab the bow.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know myself way too well. When I get adrenalin flowing, my grip increases as well. I practice the way I will hunt. I am probably a shooter who grips the bow too hard and I hate wrist slings. I shoot just fine with a little stronger grip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.