Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Would you shoot an immature Coyote? >

Would you shoot an immature Coyote?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you shoot an immature Coyote?

Old 08-14-2008, 12:59 PM

Default RE: Would you shoot an immature Coyote?

I would shoot a mother coyote while nursing her young, and then try to get as many of the young as I can while they scatter.

I will shoot any coyote any chance I get. The only good coyote is a dead coyote.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:05 PM
Dominant Buck

One is a predator, the other is prey.
We are hunters (read - the predator). They are BOTH "prey".
Old 08-14-2008, 01:13 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

your point?? Again, coyotes are predators by definition. Deer are not. The reasons for harvesting each are not to be confused. Do you eat coyotes?
Old 08-14-2008, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

From our perspective, yes. But I think that your point is way off the tracks of reality and fit more for a college philosophy classroom. The obvious point being made was that deer don't kill other game animals.

I am not for the extermination of coyotes, just a minimal population
Old 08-14-2008, 01:24 PM
Dominant Buck

And I am not for the extermination of fawn deer, just a healthy population.

your point?? Again, coyotes are predators by definition. Deer are not. The reasons for harvesting each are not to be confused. Do you eat coyotes?
My point is clear. WE are the predators in the eyes of both of these animals (and in the eyes of the hunting community). What they do amongst themselves is something we can't control. I'm not interested in how they "label" themselves in "their" world.

The reason for harvesting each is congruent in my eyes. Because it's the prudent thing to do. When you hunt an area with an overabundance of does (or coyotes ....to make the correlation), like I do, then come back and we'll discuss it.

Does ANYONE eat coyotes? You're making my point even stronger. At least I'm eating MY prey.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

AHA! Now I see the real point. I didn't read the other thread at all so I am guessing I missed a lot of PETA committee members bashing the killing of fawns. For the record, I am not arguing against killing fawns. I am arguing for killing young coyotes If I am finally reading this right, then I agree with you 100%.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

you betcha
Old 08-14-2008, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

My point is clear. WE are the predators in the eyes of both of these animals (and in the eyes of the hunting community). What they do amongst themselves is something we can't control. I'm not interested in how they "label" themselves in "their" world.

The reason for harvesting each is congruent in my eyes. Because it's the prudent thing to do. When you hunt an area with an overabundance of does (or coyotes ....to make the correlation), like I do, then come back and we'll discuss it.

Does ANYONE eat coyotes? You're making my point even stronger. At least I'm eating MY prey.
I actually do hunt areas with large populations of both. Why would you assume otherwise? If the goal is to lower deer population then killing a fawn is the wrong method. First, you often dont know if it is a doe or buck. Also, it will likely only have 1 offspring when it does get bred the first time, whereas, a mature doe will likely have twins. Kill a doe and you just eliminated 3 deer from the equation for next year. Kill a fawn and you have quite possibly killed a buck, or at best, eliminated one or two deer from next season. Also, the fawn will consume far less resources than the mature deer etc. etc.

Killing coyotes has more to do with protecting THEIR prey, not themselves. FAR different.Again, really no correlation nor congruenceat all. By the way, I really dont believe deer and coyotes have the ability to "label" themselves.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fletch920

I actually do hunt areas with large populations of both. Why would you assume otherwise? If the goal is to lower deer population then killing a fawn is the wrong method. First, you often dont know if it is a doe or buck. Also, it will likely only have 1 offspring when it does get bred the first time, whereas, a mature doe will likely have twins. Kill a doe and you just eliminated 3 deer from the equation for next year. Kill a fawn and you have quite possibly killed a buck, or at best, eliminated one or two deer from next season. Also, the fawn will consume far less resources than the mature deer etc. etc.

Killing coyotes has more to do with protecting THEIR prey, not themselves. FAR different.Again, really no correlation nor congruenceat all. By the way, I really dont believe deer and coyotes have the ability to "label" themselves.
If you had virtually, or truly, unlimited doe tags, why not shoot the fawns and take all her future offspring out? That logic never made any sense to me. If you had 1 or 2 doe tags, then I see your point.

Also, if you can't tell a doe fawn from a buck fawn, then it is a good idea for you to not shoot them, unless you don't care. I can tell the difference, and I know Jeff can as well.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:57 PM
Dominant Buck

If the goal is to lower deer population then killing a fawn is the wrong method.
Disagree....but I'll let you hang yourself.

First, you often dont know if it is a doe or buck.
I said in another thread....THE main reason I take binos afield is to thwart this. My record on distinguishing them is fairly good (I've killed one BB....the piebald).

Also, it will likely only have 1 offspring when it does get bred the first time, whereas, a mature doe will likely have twins.
LOL....You're assuming I'm choosy....or CAN choose. I kill every female deer that offers me an ethical shot. Period.

Kill a doe and you just eliminated 3 deer from the equation for next year.
Pass on a doe fawn and you have SURELY allowed one more to live and eat THAT year.....and probably another for the coming year (especially in our mild climate).

Kill a fawn and you have quite possibly killed a buck, or at best, eliminated one or two deer from next season.
Why did this not play into the equation when you were touting killing the mature doe???? It actually becomes MORE likely you take a future buck out when you kill the older deer. But I digress..... I'm not very choosy about which female deer I kill.

Also, the fawn will consume far less resources than the mature deer etc. etc.
If I kill her today....she will consume NO MORE resources....and neither will her potential offspring

Killing coyotes has more to do with protecting THEIR prey, not themselves. FAR different.
You're not making the connection, caller....

When you take out "ANY" mouth that's eating from your deer herd.....you're "protecting" (ensuring the better health of) the rest of the herd. It's not a stretch.

By the way, I really dont believe deer and coyotes have the ability to "label" themselves.
They don't need to. You're doing a FINE job!

Quick Reply: Would you shoot an immature Coyote?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.