Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Look what my buddy found lurking near one of the stands yesterday! >

Look what my buddy found lurking near one of the stands yesterday!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Look what my buddy found lurking near one of the stands yesterday!

Old 08-13-2008, 01:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Look what my buddy found lurking near one of the stands yesterday!

I agree!

ORIGINAL: kickin_buck

The only good snake is a dead snake.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: jackflap

I was raised as most Texans in that it is your DUTY to kill a rattlesnake every chance you get. They play havoc on cattle, horses, dogs and at times, people.

I am serious when I tell you as a teenager I got in troibleand ridiculed by my Uncle when he found out I encountered a rattlesnake while turkey hunting and DIDN'T kill it.

Right or wrong, that is how much of rural Texas is brought up in regards to rattlesnakes.

Do I know anyone first hand that has ever been bitten? No, but I know OF at least one person in our local area that gets bit every year.

On the other hand, I ride a mountain bike in Palo Duro State Park where they ARE protected within the boundaries of the State Park.

I encounter them frequently while riding. I have never killed one in the canyon since 1) it is illegal and 2) I am usually anywhere from 1-3 miles from pavement and there is no cell service in the bottom of the canyon to request help if I was to get bitten. So I let them go on their way and I have never had any problems.

Because of this irepeated interaction without any problems , I no longer think I HAVE to kill every rattlesnake I encounter anymore, but they are constantly on my mind while riding, not enough to keep me from riding by any means, but I will tell you that whenI fall on my mountain bike in the canyon, I get up QUICKLY.

But having said that, I am a hypocrite because I'd be lying if I didn't tell you that I will kill everyone around my house or in our pastures. Right or wrong thats just the way it is. Judge me all you want.

Now to me, this post is totally balanced and how I think I would be living where you live, Mike ... as I said before, ANYTHING that threatens my family is gonna die ... now I will kill it quickly but i would not kill a snake just to kill it because it was a snake
Old 08-13-2008, 05:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

Hopefully we as hunters know the time and place to give the respect to all things as deserved.
This is the most sensable post in this entire thread
Old 08-13-2008, 05:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yummy. lets throw it on the grill, I love rattle snake.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:50 AM

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

ORIGINAL: Buck Magnet

Whats the point of killing an animal that has every right to be there as you do?
Animals (snakes) do not have rights. They may be protected by laws but they do not have rights. Unless, of course, you are ingrid newkirk, then you think animals have rights.
if they are protected by a law, then they have rights .....

laws are what establishes rights....
We'll have to disagree on that big fella .
Bruce .... how can you disagree with that ..... just curious.
If there were no government, no laws, we humans would still have basic rights, human rights. Laws just protect our rights from infringement by the government (ie. the right to free speech) and anyone else.
So true Bruce. " The sacred rights of mankind are not to be rummaged for, among old parchments, or musty records. They are written, as a sun beam in the whole volume of human natures, by the hand of divinity itself; and can never be erased or obscured by mortal power.
Alexander Hamilton, 1775
Old 08-13-2008, 10:53 AM

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

Did anyone call Samuel L. Jackson?

C'mon, folks. There are MF snakes near his MF stand.
Now that's "MF" ing funny!
Old 08-13-2008, 10:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: buttonbuckmaster

Did he beat it to death with the piece of diamond plated chrome laying in the ditch?

The snake posse will take their turn at the podium shortly. Some will say its a harmless reptile that is feared for no reason. Kinda like this cuddly little fella

LOL "snake posse"

BTW -I thought the same thing when I saw that hunk of aluminum laying at the edge of the road. LMAO

C'mon, folks. There are MF snakes near his MF stand.
Dan, that's quality stuff right there.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hopefully we as hunters know the time and place to give the respect to all things as deserved.
Their skins look aweful nice as backing on a bow:

Old 08-13-2008, 10:59 AM

[blockquote]quote:

It just amazes me how many people forget that the snakes have been here longer than we have

[/blockquote]

Actually BM, they wer both created the same day ..... day 6

I don't understand the killing of snakes just to kill them, but I am from the north, too
Sorry Preach

I dont go lookin for them to kill them but if i cross one im not givin him the time to rattle, boom hes dead.
My question is why kill it then? Why not just walk around and leave it be? Whats the point of killing an animal that has every right to be there as you do?
It's called being the top of the food chain. Timber rattlers and copperheads are nothing compared to a Rattler. And Indiana isn't crawling with either anyway.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:06 AM

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Their skins look aweful nice as backing on a bow:

That looks quite nice. Did you do it yourself?

Quick Reply: Look what my buddy found lurking near one of the stands yesterday!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.