Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Look what my buddy found lurking near one of the stands yesterday! >

Look what my buddy found lurking near one of the stands yesterday!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Look what my buddy found lurking near one of the stands yesterday!

Old 08-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Look what my buddy found lurking near one of the stands yesterday!

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

ORIGINAL: Buck Magnet

It just amazes me how many people forget that the snakes have been here longer than we have
Actually BM, they wer both created the same day ..... day 6

I don't understand the killing of snakes just to kill them, but I am from the north, too
Yep, PT... I suppose they wer!!

I don't have a problem with eliminating a poisonous snake that's around where my kids will be playing, but for the life of me, I can't understand why some grown men lose it at the sight of a garter snake or a harmless black snake and become obsessed with killing it. But hey, that's just me. I wonder how many folks there are out there who can't tell the difference?
Old 08-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Buck Magnet

Sorry Preach
We specialize in forgiveness
Old 08-12-2008, 07:05 PM

Do you guys in the south have a season for rattlesnake?
January through december......

Guys it's not just hunters who are affected by this. children and pets are the main concern. It's easy to say that you would walk around a rattling snake. would your six year old sister? what about your two year old kid? What about your best dog?not all rattlesnakes rattle, canebreaks hardly ever rattle. I've killed them ten feet from my front door before, is there any other solution for that scenario?
Old 08-12-2008, 07:10 PM
Kid
Typical Buck

Not a Snake Killer myself. When i was a kid i woulddrag home every non-poisonoussnake i could catch. Though i am somewhat "from the North", i still wouldn't be afraid to traipse around anywhere for fear of snakes. In my 47 years I've encountered about 5 rattlesnakes (all Timber Rattlers) and several dozen Copperheads all told, but just never felt threatened enough to kill them. Poisonous Snake bites are so relatively rare in this country that it is a bit of a red herriing to pretend like you're doing the world a favor by killing them. If your a Nancy Boy and want to kill Snakes, just be Man enough to say so and kill all of them that you want.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: gamespooker

Do you guys in the south have a season for rattlesnake?
January through december......

Guys it's not just hunters who are affected by this. children and pets are the main concern. It's easy to say that you would walk around a rattling snake. would your six year old sister? what about your two year old kid? What about your best dog?not all rattlesnakes rattle, canebreaks hardly ever rattle. I've killed them ten feet from my front door before, is there any other solution for that scenario?
I would kill ANYTHING that threatened my family ..... but if I am walking along and I see a snake, I am not gonna go outta my way to kill it ...so I see what you are saying on a protection deal ... but not just to kill

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

Yep, PT... I suppose they wer!!
LC ....Bite me [8D]
Old 08-12-2008, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are going for a walk in the woods you are entering into their territory, use caution and don't mess with the snakes and the bites can be avoided.
Yeah, they probably even like you BM. Man, for the life of me I can not figure out why it is so important to some that venomous snakes live. I mean, to me, it is no different than squashing a Black Widow, a Brown Recluse, swatting and killing a Red Wasp or Hornet. What is their purpose here anyway? Do rattlesnakes help with the economy or ecosystem or something? To me, it is sort of like walking up on a burgular with a .357. Do you just ignore him and walk around him, because you "probably" won't see him again? Or, he probably is in his environment, being he is, after all burglarizing your home. Geesh

LT
Old 08-12-2008, 07:13 PM

Old 08-12-2008, 07:13 PM

Well, I didn't want to start an argument, but I am going to put my two cents in since I did. If we see rat snakes or anything that is harmless we let them go. The rat snakes actually do a lot of good job by eating up all them little field mice. But if there are rattlesnakes hanging out within 10 feet of our stands, well, their gonna get whacked. Thats just the way it is. I have seen to many dogs die from snake bites in general to really give a darn if the snake isn't bothering me, especially when its that close to where I am going to be walking at 5am come next week.

As for what he killed it with, I am not sure, but probaly either a pistol or a shovel. This close to season we don't tote any long guns in the woods because the season opens on 8/15 and the Game Wardens are on the look out.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

you guys that kill them outside the season (if there is one) ...... you broke the law, correct? Now I am not talking about one that is about to srtike you aor your family .....
Old 08-12-2008, 07:20 PM

there is no season or law protecting rattlesnakes to my knowledge

Quick Reply: Look what my buddy found lurking near one of the stands yesterday!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.