Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Look what my buddy found lurking near one of the stands yesterday! >

Look what my buddy found lurking near one of the stands yesterday!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Look what my buddy found lurking near one of the stands yesterday!

Old 08-13-2008, 12:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Look what my buddy found lurking near one of the stands yesterday!

l
ORIGINAL: Oneshot7

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

I can tell a lot of you have never seen a cottonmouth
Do you mean like this one?? I will kill any poisonous snake I see, without hesitation. Have any of you every stepped on on a copperhead............. they will not be to happy. What about having a rattlesnake bight your truck? This one takes the cake though, what about a cottonmouth falling in your boat?? There are to many chances to get bitten and way to good of a camoflagued animal to let him go once. I wear snakes boots but still dont always feel safe. There are some snakes round here that will make you think twice about only 16 inch snake boots, but will make you want a whole snake suit. This is the way I was raised and will continue to be the same way, to many people and dogs walk through the areas I am in to just let them go.

God, I hate those things. We normally kill more of those during teal season, then we do teal[>:]
Old 08-13-2008, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Oneshot7

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

I can tell a lot of you have never seen a cottonmouth
Do you mean like this one?? I will kill any poisonous snake I see, without hesitation. Have any of you every stepped on on a copperhead............. they will not be to happy. What about having a rattlesnake bight your truck? This one takes the cake though, what about a cottonmouth falling in your boat?? There are to many chances to get bitten and way to good of a camoflagued animal to let him go once. I wear snakes boots but still dont always feel safe. There are some snakes round here that will make you think twice about only 16 inch snake boots, but will make you want a whole snake suit. This is the way I was raised and will continue to be the same way, to many people and dogs walk through the areas I am in to just let them go.

Some of these guys probably dont know what a cottonmouth is and about their bad attitudes. I hadmy firstcottonmouth experiencein a pair of waders in the middle of a wood duck pond, and it was coming after me aggressively.I gave it ashotof steel to the head. I have seen alot of hunting dogs die from snake biites, so i will run them down to kill them.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dang, I'm not any kind of snake hater... but I did see 7 copper heads at our lease between Saturday and Sunday. I don't mind bullsnakes, rat snakes, black snakes, garder snakes, ribbon snakes, diamond back water snakes, racers, hog-nosed snakes, long-nosed snakes, prairie king snakes, or any of the others of the multitude of non-venemous snakes in Oklahoma. For that matter, I don't mind the rattle snakes because they alert you before it's game time.

But at the same time, Copperheads and Cottonmouth's are a different story... I don't go looking to get rid of them, but when you see 7 in two days, it makes you think a little bit harder about that walk to the stand in the dark when it's still 90 degrees outside... just sayin.

*Edit*

Preacher, didn't Satan come in the form of a snake (serpent) to tempt Eve? So if you look at it like that, then Snakes are the root of all evil!!!!
Old 08-13-2008, 01:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well, a copper head isn't likely going to kill anything larger than a rat unless you happend to be one of the extremely rare people that are allergic to things like bee stings and the like. Sure it willhurt and you will swell and suchbut it isn't going to be life threatening or anything like that.

A Cotton mouth can be a little agressive when provokedbut I have never had one come at me and I have been around thousand of them. They will stand their ground more than other snakes will but rarely ever attack a human being. As a kid I would catch and kill cottonmouth almost daily. Since then I have grown up and don't fear something like a snake. I am far more "fearful" of walking down the street then I will ever be walking through the woods in the dark.Usually when a snake gets agressive they are either shedding their skin and can't see well enough to know where you are or what youare anddefend themselvesor you are screwing with them.

The fact is that more snake bites come from messing with the snakes than do leaving them alone. If everyone just left them alone and walked around them there would be far far less reported snake bites in the U.S.

My dog was bitten twice (same incident) by a cottonmouth and we spentover a thousand bucks keeping her in the vets office on anti venom. I still don't kill them when I see them just because they are a snake.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:17 PM
Fork Horn

I stepped on an ant once.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Dubbya

Dang, I'm not any kind of snake hater... but I did see 7 copper heads at our lease between Saturday and Sunday. I don't mind bullsnakes, rat snakes, black snakes, garder snakes, ribbon snakes, diamond back water snakes, racers, hog-nosed snakes, long-nosed snakes, prairie king snakes, or any of the others of the multitude of non-venemous snakes in Oklahoma. For that matter, I don't mind the rattle snakes because they alert you before it's game time.

But at the same time, Copperheads and Cottonmouth's are a different story... I don't go looking to get rid of them, but when you see 7 in two days, it makes you think a little bit harder about that walk to the stand in the dark when it's still 90 degrees outside... just sayin.

*Edit*

Preacher, didn't Satan come in the form of a snake (serpent) to tempt Eve? So if you look at it like that, then Snakes are the root of all evil!!!!
LOL ,,,yes he did ......
Old 08-13-2008, 01:55 PM

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Well, a copper head isn't likely going to kill anything larger than a rat unless you happend to be one of the extremely rare people that are allergic to things like bee stings and the like. Sure it willhurt and you will swell and suchbut it isn't going to be life threatening or anything like that.
BB, Why do you say this? Is it because of the "amount" of venom a copperhead can inject into a person?

Copperheads, Cottonmouths, and all Rattlesnakes (Timber, Diamondback, Pigmy, etc) all have the same type of venom. The Coral snake is the only North American venomous snake with a different type of venom.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:15 PM
Typical Buck

I would kill a scorpion or a spider if I felt it was threatening humans,maybe even if I didnt feel it was threatening because it might in the future,I cant believe people would defend snakes or other poisoness creatures? Bears are a completely differant argument.
For me rattlers would have no rights unless I saw one out in the desert but by my stand? it would be dead and no warden would argue.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:41 PM

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

A Cotton mouth can be a little agressive when provokedbut I have never had one come at me and I have been around thousand of them. They will stand their ground more than other snakes will but rarely ever attack a human being.
WRONG!!!!! I have been chased back to the boat many times by cottonmouths here in the swamps in Florida that were not provoked in any way, and have gone out of their way to give chase to a grown man screaming like a little school girl.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, did everyone turn into some PMSing women (no offense to any woman) this week or is it just me? Holy cow!

If you don't have sumptin nice to say, don't say (or in this case, type) nothin at all!

Lighten up guys.

Quick Reply: Look what my buddy found lurking near one of the stands yesterday!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.