HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Look maw, no wheels (pics) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/257112-look-maw-no-wheels-pics.html)

Matt / PA 08-11-2008 12:22 PM

RE: Look maw, no wheels (pics)

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Would your knocking point change if you shot 3 under v. split?

I don't know.
Most likely yes........
3 under applies a much different pressure on the string and arrow. If the bow isn't tillered for 3 under (even tiller) then generally speaking you should expect to have to nock the arrow a little higher than you would with a split grip.

Also don't jam your finger up against the arrow when you draw.....it's hard to duplicate hard pressure and the arrow can come off differently shot to shot.
I like to set my fingers just brushing the bottom of the nock as I draw.

GMMAT 08-11-2008 12:24 PM

Then the only "kick" one might expect (if the bow was set up for a different type shooter) would be a kick up or down?

I would assume side to side would indicate spine issues, correct???

Schultzy 08-11-2008 12:26 PM

Short drawing also does this.

Matt / PA 08-11-2008 12:27 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Then the only "kick" one might expect (if the bow was set up for a different type shooter) would be a kick up or down?

Yep.

Also when you set your shelf material make sure you leave a gap or "trough" between the shelf pad and the strike plate or material you use (I use seal for both)
Then index your nocks so the shelf feather tip slides into and through this trough.
Its easier on the contact feather and seems to provide cleaner arrow flight.

BobCo19-65 08-11-2008 12:29 PM

When you say kick, I assume you mean fishtailing. I'd also agree that you are probably over-spined. Try using this chart click_here to get you close. I'd also suggest trying to bare shaft test once you can group out to twenty or so yards. I wouldn't suggest using the easton chart for traditional equipment.

GMMAT 08-11-2008 12:29 PM

Also when you set your shelf material make sure you leave a gap or "trough" between the shelf pad and the strike plate or material you use (I use seal for both)
I use seal, also....but I learn something every day.

Will be cutting a "trough", tonight.;)

Thanks, Matt.

Bowtech 360 08-11-2008 12:38 PM

Good luck, but lose the blue slippers..

thehairlessone! 08-11-2008 01:57 PM

that's neat. I always thought it would be fun to try one

rick

NY/Al 08-11-2008 03:05 PM

Gotta love the trad! When I switched from split to 3-under i raised the nocking point up one brass nock width, and that did me.You would be suprised what little a change can do to a bow's performance!

rybohunter 08-11-2008 03:38 PM

Don't forget to keep checking brace height. It's easy to get caught up shooting & shooting and your string stretches a little and can slightly throw things off. Check it at least once a week, maybe every few days if you are shooting a lot.